Logo

Force lower unit TIGHT!!

Bman318

Found water in the lower unit of my 1991 50hp force. Got a seal kit, removed lower unit, removed the gears to inspect and clean. All looked well. Replaced all the seals and reinstalled everything. All was good untill i got all done and noticed i couldnt turn the prop shaft or drive shaft by hand. Even with the prop, it takes 2 hands to turn it. Any ideas? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Someting's binding if you can't turn it with the impeller off.

Take the bearing carrier off and try spinning the drive shaft then??

Ok, I removed the bearing carrier loose and yes it spins free. when I go to put the bearing carrier back on I can see that shaft is not perfectly centered. I had an extra prop shaft so I installed it with the gears on it and its the same way. now I'm getting discouraged! what the heck could it be. could the forward gear bearing race be off? I'm at a loss right now. And Thank you to all the responders!

Sounds like you do not have the yoke in the groove on the shift pin. You need to split the housings and the install the propshaft and carrier then put the yoke on the shift pin an then install the lever and shift shaft on the yoke.

Update, i have read my manual, had the lower unit apart and back together again 50 times and i cant get it to seat right. Somethings off. Ordered a used lower unit today on ebay. But im not giving up! I will fix the old one before the lord calls! Lol

Did you remove the pin for the gear shift arm? They are like a puzzle to put together first in goes the propshaft then you install the yoke on the shift pin the install the shift arm onto the yoke and then put in the pivot pin. Then ypu put thehousings together and tighten the bolts. Then install the reverse gear and carrier. The pivot pin is on the outside of the gearbox pointing toward the yoke.

Back