Logo

SHURflo water pump

mpt

Contributing Member
After purchasing it brand new back in '07 for my 1981 32' Bayliner 3270, I think it's time to either replace the diaphragm valve kit or the whole pump? Motor runs good but pump just spittles, burps and spits air/water! I am sure the diaphragm valve is tired but the cost of replacing it isn't much less than replacing the whole unit! Any suggestions? If I replace the whole unit should I stick with SHURflo or replace with a SEAFLO? Amazon has some nice prices!

Before buying anything, open the pump up and clean the existing diaphragm. It might have a tiny foreign object preventing one or more of the valves from closing fully. It's amazing how small the piece of crud that prevents getting good flow through the pump can be.

2X!! as long as the motor spins normally, a cleaning is normally all that's required.....as long as the supply is adequate...

You'll need to open up the pump like the guy on this video does in the first few minutes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-zxHmcYiOE

Then when you take out the diaphragm, I will bet you're going to find some little foreign objects like the guy does in this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-GbfRkFT3Y

You just need to carefully get that stuff out of there. There's really nothing to it.

If you don't have a filter/strainer just ahead of the pump inlet, now is the time to install one. Shurflo makes some strainers that screw directly onto the pump's inlet threads, then you install the hose adapter to the strainer's inlet.

I bought a sea flow pump. They replaced the pressure switch under warranty after a day of use on the boat. it failed a second time, leaks water... junks far as I'm concerned. Good luck if you go that way...

I agree with what DJR has suggested. Still, if you are not able to find the solution, you can consult any professional water pump professional like water heater installation NJ, the effective solution. As such team has better experience, they can help you in the best possible way.

Back