Logo

Oops: Dropped Shift Linkage Pin- Honda B100:

1985 Blue & White 9.9 B100 Honda. I was feeling really good about replacing all of the water seals in the lower unit and successfully reattaching the foot. I even got the lower filled with gear oil. Then it happened! I was trying to insert the pin connecting the shift rod to the shift linkage and I dropped the pin down into the shift rod channel. I'm guessing that if I remove the foot that the pin should fall out. Mind you just a guess. I doubt that the pin is even a ferrous metal to fish with a magnet, not that I could even even get one down there. Without admitting that you've ever done that could someone give me the low down on recovering the pin? Man I feel bad. So much effort and then I instantly dissolve all my accomplishments. Much appreciate a helping hand. Bruce

The plan is to suspend the the outboard upside down, secured with rope and rattle the shift rod until the clevis pin falls out. Would I need to drain the crankcase oil first? I don't feel strong enough to physically invert the motor and shake it unmercifully until the pin drops out. What do you think?

Fantastic, I recovered the clevis pin. As stated above I suspended the inverted motor and put a stout wire through the hole at the top of the shift rod. It took a while and I heard it fall out. Unfortunately it fell into the flywheel housing. I disconnected the motor from the rope and carefully raised up the motor to the boat transom. Sure enough the pin fell out. I am going to cut a thin piece of foam to cover the mouth of the shift rod housing before attempting to hook up the shift rod again. It's nice that with the shift lever in the Neutral slot the holes line up correctly, just as it was when I disconnected it. All is well for now. I'll be testing the top end and giving it a Seafoam treatment soon. I installed new plugs, new reinforced fuel lines and a replacement fuel filter along with a new impeller and all new lower unit seals. I've got non-ethanol 91 octane fuel at the ready. When I originally attempted to test the motor it started easy enough but no water flow so I pushed kill button. I'm really hoping my $75 motor works out favorably. I did drain the engine oil as a precaution before I hung it upside down, I had however just put fresh oil in. When I drained it today wasn't it wasn't very clean. That exercise served a rinse. Thanks again for your expertise. Bruce

Congratulations on getting the pin out. Those pins are a P. I.T.A. no matter how you slice it.

But, those old Hondas are tough as bobcat guts! Sounds like you got yourself a diamond in the rough.

Good luck with the next phase.

Back