Logo

Can this spindle be sanded smooth and reused?

TheBrain

Regular Contributor
Can this spindle be sanded smooth and reused?

Recently spun a wheel bearing the broken pieces created a sizable grove in the center of the spindle I assume the bearing where grinded to dust.

The part of spindle where the inner bearing race sits on is also grooved bad enough
Where the inside race won’t slide all the way to it’s usalle position ( I had to grind w/ the angle grinder to get the bearing to side to almost the normal position this caused a flat spot) however I can still tighten nut enough to get a cotter pin in spindle.

also the inside part of bearing is stationary like aren’t both inside and outside races of inner or outer bearing should spin on spindle correct?

The assembled image the hub spins nicely even w/out any grease.

My tandom axel trailer has 2200LB axels/w/3500LB spindels which is way overkill for my 2500LB vessel

I’m not wanting to loose another wheel/hub/spindle so if my current axel is unusable I’m concidering using just 3 wheels missing wheel on starboard side so Jonnie Law won’t see.

I have been sanding this stainless steel spindel w/ wet sandpaper 400grit however I didn't wet. wet sand paper cut in stripes not much grinding so I stepped up to called emory paper unsure of grit (but it's twice the grit of 400) not much results w/ however SS is very hard and I could be there sanding till doomsdays to get this spindel usable.

remember I travel minimum of 200 miles one way for my cruising.

Thanks for any good advice.

Attachments

• rotten spinde4l.jpg
    rotten spinde4l.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 113
  • rotten spindel.jpg
    rotten spindel.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 78
  • rotten spindel2.jpg
    rotten spindel2.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 69
  • rotten spindel3.jpg
    rotten spindel3.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 69
  • rotten spindel4.jpg
    rotten spindel4.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 80
  • rotten spindel5.jpg
    rotten spindel5.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:
That is just garbage.-----Replace the axle with new.-----Cheaper than getting stranded / towing bill on the interstate.

Please advice on correct spindle size.

Here are the diemensions I kindof know (not using a dial caliper type mearsurer use tape mearsure)

Square Outside of axle is exactly 2”
?1.w/ a square axel must the spindle also be square?
Few years ago e trailer sold me a round spindle and they where informed I had a square axles, the round spindle was to fat to fit I had to grind on that fat ass spindle for maybe 1 hour.

Section B is a tad under 1 ¾”

Section D is a tad over 1”

I think I need this size spindle for some reason the #84 is in my memory as the correct size, even though my axle is only rated at 2200LBs that’s counting both left and right hubs combined however couple years ago e trailer wanted to buy the more expensive 1750LB per hub. spindels
https://www.etrailer.com/p-SP20484.html

Edit: I’m thinking ahead and think the longer the stub the more sable it will be.

Also next time the Roy eats though the spindle axle tube weld I have more room to cut off old weld usalley ¼” then slide axle out that same ¼” then reweld. I attach image of the e trailer round spindel not fitting into the square axle.

edit: also thinking not to plug weld like drill though side of axel and plug weld so I can continue to cut roy welds and still slide out reweld.

Attachments

• correct size spindel.jpg
    correct size spindel.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 71
  • spindel to fat.jpg
    spindel to fat.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:
Section B is a tad under 1 ¾”

Section D is a tad over 1”

Ayuh,.... Ya gotta match sections B, 'n C, to the weight ratin' ya want,.... section D will work out by itself,....

The inner bearing cup is it supposed to spin freely on spindle?

My spindle isn’t perfectly round and this bearing cup is stationary.
Thanks TB

Attachments

• bearing exploded viewp.jpg
    bearing exploded viewp.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 70
Theres a thing called a speedi sleeve that fits over worn seal races. They are relatively cheap. If it were me, I would see if there was one that fits your axle before going thru all the drama of replacing.

Yes speedi sleeves are great for saving old stuff. Used on a few occasions on some of my Land Rovers over the years. Comes with installation tool and you just whack it into place with a hammer. No special tools or training! Use a micrometer to measure across the seal race on the spindle. I'm sure it will be a very common size. That's the critical measurement for the speedi sleeve. You can order online, at a machine shop, or even NAPA.
The hub is the only thing that spins. The inner part of the bearing is stationary: it fits on to the spindle., and the outer part fits into the hub. The rollers of the bearing ride between the outer and inner portion of the bearing. The seal fits in the hub after you insert the roller (with LOTS of grease) into the hubrace. The seal keeps the grease inside the hub. mostly.
Once you get this back together, adjust the spindle nut until there is no more wiggle in the hub, then back off the nut a half turn. You need to leave the adjustment just a eensy bit loose so that when the hub heats up, the parts expand a bit and the adjustment is spot on.

Last edited:
OK I measure across the seal race on the spindle however there is a slite tamper?

can I attach
micrometer to race and rotate 365* for pure roundness mearsurement, remember I've been smoothing the top half w/ the emory cloth stripe like automoblie axles are smoothed.

sanding w/ emory cloth stripe dosn't show much material removed but I have removed some material to lessen the indention

thanksTB

cut ruined spindel off inside diameter of tube is 1 1/2".

in order to keep all my spindels 84type I had to get the larger same as previous spindel swap 1 3/4" and grind 1/8" off four sides of the spindels radius then have my friend at the muffler shop weld it for $20.

I don't mind swapping spindels if the axel is still usable and giving $20 because when welding he used 4 sticks of weld material.

if I when to a trailer repair place I was quoted $40. for a none ez lube spindel and $75. for one hour of welding.

now I'm installing brakes so I start a new thread.
Thanks all for good advice.TB

Last edited:
Back