Logo

Taking 2006 Mercury Into Shop. Worried!

flyfishingken

Hey all, I have a 2006 Mercury 25hp 4 stroke efi that I’m taking into the shop in the next couple of days. I noticed a wobble on the prop shaft and am going to have it replaced. I changed the gear box oil and the oil looked great, no water and no metal shavings.

The shop gave me a quote of $700 for shop time, new shaft and new seal. I’m worried there are going to be more expenses though. I’m concerned about the gear box and bearings. Everything ran fine the last time I had it out, I just bought the boat used and didn’t notice the prop wobble. We tested it in the water not on earmuffs.

If the bearing was fried would I have noticed it earlier? Or the gear box? The motor runs so well I was shocked the shaft was bent.

Thanks for helping a worried fisherman!

Cheers

How did you determine that the prop shaft was "bent". Did you remove the prop and visualize the shaft wobble as it was running at low RPM or did you just see the prop wobble?

How did you determine that the prop shaft was "bent". Did you remove the prop and visualize the shaft wobble as it was running at low RPM or did you just see the prop wobble?

Hey there, I did remove the prop and find a slight wobble. I used the rigid wire trick and saw a bit of play on the end of the shaft. Maybe a bit less than 1mm

$700 sound correct for that kind of work.----Easy to do yourself if you can find a used / new shaft.----No special skill required.

Last edited:
Just replace the seal and bearing , all easy to do.

Haha oh man. Ok i guess you are right if i'm not paying shop time the parts are pretty cheap. I appreicate it. I'm going to check out a youtube video and see what i'm getting into.

Any one recommend good sites for quality used prop shafts?

Put the part number on ---google----See what shows up on Fleabay.----Make sure you get a straight shaft / guarantee of that when buying used.

Put the part number on ---google----See what shows up on Fleabay.----Make sure you get a straight shaft / guarantee of that when buying used.

Thanks for the input. I will buy new I think.

Would the shop manual give me step by step on how to replace the shaft?

Sorry I'm trying to do this right and this is my first boat! Ha

Doubt you will need a manual , 2 screws to take out and the rear bearing carrier pulls out.----Rest is easy I think.

Awesome, sounds really simple. As long as I put everything back in order.

Thanks for saving me time and money.

Once the bearing carrier is out, how do I get the shaft out of the housing. Will is just pull right out at that point or do I need a tool to remove it?

It just slides out. No tools required.

The gear and bearing will need to be pressed off the shaft though if you're replacing the shaft.

Be careful when you pull the shaft out, there is a pin and ball in the end of the shaft that can fall out and easily get lost if not careful.

Where are you located? I have a complete lower for a Merc/Tohatsu 25/30hp. It got water in it, gears and bearings will need replacing but shafts are straight and are fine.

Last edited:
It just slides out. No tools required.

The gear and bearing will need to be pressed off the shaft though if you're replacing the shaft.

Be careful when you pull the shaft out, there is a pin and ball in the end of the shaft that can fall out and easily get lost if not careful.

Where are you located? I have a complete lower for a Merc/Tohatsu 25/30hp. It got water in it, gears and bearings will need replacing but shafts are straight and are fine.

I'm in sunny Seattle! Ha....

Feel free to PM me if you are interested in parting ways with it.

Hello, i'm back. Finally taking a look at this problem. Two questions... 1. How can I press the gear and bearing off the shaft with regular tools? 2. Is there anyway to tell the gears are bad or going out when i'm in there?

THANKS

Back