Logo

1989 v6 150hp to 1990 v4 115hp

Aniez51

I have a ranger with a 1989 Johnson GT150 that is blown. I’m looking in to getting a 1990 Johnson 115 to put in its place rather than rebuilding the 150. My question is as far a controls go what am I looking at to swap the motors? Will the 115 pretty much hook right up to all the existing controls or will I have to run new stuff for the 115? Going to rent an engine hoist and try to do the swap myself...seems like a straight forward job. Anybody insight appreciated!

Depending on your setup definately size the prop for proper wot rpm.

Yeah I plan on playing with the prop a little. 115 should be just fine for me on this boat I don’t really have any need to go 45mph+. Would like to put a newer motor on it but my bank account ain’t having that right now.

Sounds like a direct swap to me racer might know if its plug and play?

I would think so being only one year apart but I just wasn’t sure. Just think it’s silly to pay a shop a couple hundred bucks to do a direct swap when I can rent an engine lift for 30 bucks.

No need to change the controls.---May need to adjust trunnions on cables.----Have you done a compression test on the 115 hp ???

No need to change the controls.---May need to adjust trunnions on cables.----Have you done a compression test on the 115 hp ???

I have not looked at the 115 yet but trust me when I say I will perform every necessary test when I check it out. But what do you mean by trunnions?

Back