Logo

1968 Mercury 9.8 has trouble finding neutral

Partee217

When I got the motor it needed a new impeller. That was easy. Cleaned the carb and it runs better than ever. Only problem is the neutral. When I shift it into the neutral position it still slightly catches the forward gears ( which really sucks when I pull the rope and start the motor. I have tried 5 times to pull the lower unit off, adjust where the shafts connect and it always is the same outcome. Please lend me some advice or tips.

Put lower unit in neutral and shift lever in neutral.-------Or use forward on both.------Just make sure they are both the same when assembling.

Put lower unit in neutral and shift lever in neutral.-------Or use forward on both.------Just make sure they are both the same when assembling.
I have tried the shifter and lower unit in all three positions (reverse, neutral, and forward) as well as the the position where the prop spins freely which is a third from neutral and reverse but once put back together, the prop still “clicks” when in the neutral position on the shifter. Can I make any adjustments on the shifter locations?

You're off a spline, which should not be possible since it's supposed to go back together one way only--the shaft has an 'orphan spline' design. If that has the platic coupler--some did--you may have rammed it together in the wrong orientation.

Try this: Stand the motor on its head. Sight the shifter coming down (up in this case) and see if it's centered in the opening. (It not, poke it with a Phillips screw driver.) Put both in forward, making sure ALL of the slack is out of the LU side by turning it counter clockwise.

Good luck.

Jeff

You're off a spline, which should not be possible since it's supposed to go back together one way only--the shaft has an 'orphan spline' design. If that has the platic coupler--some did--you may have rammed it together in the wrong orientation.

Try this: Stand the motor on its head. Sight the shifter coming down (up in this case) and see if it's centered in the opening. (It not, poke it with a Phillips screw driver.) Put both in forward, making sure ALL of the slack is out of the LU side by turning it counter clockwise.

Good luck.

Jeff

I know better than to force the lower unit into place. I turn the motor upside down and use a wire to line up the shift shaft and let it slip into place

There is some slack in the reverse setting or the forward setting. I have slightly pulled the LU up enough to adjust it to both points and the neutral is still catching the forward gears. Anyone have an idea why? I have never forced it down, just let it slide and drop into the linkage

Back