Logo

Mercury 4 stroke 4 hp pilot jet screw idling problem

michael54

I took a look through the archives, and like lots of other people I'm having a problem with idling after cleaning my carburetor. This motor is four years old, and I have cleaned the carburetor and reassembled it once a year for the last three years. I have always had to do a little fiddling with the idle ,,,, but today's problem has me stumped.
The motor starts easily but runs very fast and although I did not change the throttle linkage it will not idle down. turning the idle adjustment screw on the top of the carburetor makes no difference. Turning the pilot screw ( the one with the plug,, EPA)does not change anything either. The only way I can get the engine to idle down is to loosen the pilot jet/ screw. and it has to be held in place manually, so it looks like it is not supposed to be adjusted in or out .. But, I'm hoping that this information is enough to help diagnose the problem. Or is the idle jet/ screw supposed to be adjustable and it's just not staying in place? If I don't hold it with a screwdriver it simply self tightens itself and the motor revs up again.
I hope I've included enough information to spark an idea .. Out there
thanks for any help

Back