Logo

Honda BF8D No Spark

Will9046

Honda BF8D Remote Kicker motor No Spark. We went through all troubleshooting, Emergency Stop switch, Neutral Switch, Tested exciter coil, Pulse Generator, New Plugs, Ignition coil primary reads .3 ohms, Not sure if that is to low manual says .35 to .43. Replaced Ignition control module. Still no spark. ANYONE Help ?????

Last edited:
How are you testing for spark? These have very faint spark if you are using the spark plug and grounding it. Seeing the spark in daylight can be difficult. Check it again at night, in a darkened garage or with a blanket over you and the outboard.

If you detect spark that way, it's probably a fuel starvation issue.

If no spark, after all you've done, it could simply be a case of an unintentionally grounded kill wire.

I don't think the .30 ohm reading in the coil primary is bad.

Did you check the secondary though? By putting your test leads in each spark plug socket? I don't have specs right now but it should be in the 25k to 35k ohm ballpark and definitely not open.

Also, you didn't mention the pulse generator coil. It should have a resistance of around 250 to 350 ohms

Look closely at those spark plug sockets and if you see a lot of rust streaks in one or both, I often relate that to failed/weak ignition coils. But clean them and try again before considering that the coil may be bad.

There is an a.c. volt test for the exciter coil but, again, I don't have the specs handy.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info JGMO,

Finally got around to doing some more checking, I had checked the secondary of the Ignition coil 27K ohms OK, Tested the Exciter coil 6.4 ohms OK, Pulse Generator 397 ohms OK,.. I tried the spark test again, can't see anything. Got tired of trying so I held the plug and shorted myself. VERY SLIGHT TINGLE. I checked all the wiring for grounds or opens. Plug sockets look clean and no corrosion. Just found an ignition coil on ebay. for $40, gonna try that and if that doesn't work I'm thinking of parting it out and get me a new Suzuki. Can't find out what year this is either, Serial # BAAJ 1001318 for a BF8D doesn't show anywhere I look, I heard that Honda doesn't show anything pre 2004, So I am guessing this is older.

It is a 2001. Model is BF8D1.

When you test the spark, be sure that both coil leads are connected. They both fire at the same time.

The complete circuit goes from ground, through one plug, then through the coil, the through the other plug, back to ground. That is why Jimmy said that continuity from plug socket to plug socket is important.

Mike

As I hit send, I thought of one other thing to check. I have seen the ground wire for the cdi lose continuity, due to the wire being broken inside the insulation. So, visually, you can not see the problem.

You can remove the connector from the cdi and check continuity to ground through the connector. Be sure to wiggle and pull the wiring to make sure that the continuity remains.

Mike

Back