Logo

1996 mercury offshore impeller questions

BLTropy1996

Hello everybody,

I'm new to this forum and I have a couple questions to ask. I just picked up a boat with this engine. The whole motor checks out and runs like clock, my biggest concern is the condition of the impeller. How do i test the output? I'm assuming it has something to do with the threaded plug on the back of the engine where there's an outlet. I've done impellers in very old Johnsons, penta outdrives and merc outdrives. I'm just wondering how much of a job it is to r+r this part.

Thanks.

If the engine is new to you, checks out OK (good compression, runs good, etc...) it's best to change out the water pump and inspect the T'stats before you use the engine, IMO...

You have no idea if the previous owner ran the engine dry (no hose hooked up), ran it aground and filled everything with sand, etc... Thermostat cages can break and they can get full of crud and become partially blocked.

Cheap insurance and an easy job as long as the lower unit is not seized to the mid.

I agree completely. It looks like the boat sat for long periods of time with little usage, there's very little corrosion on the lower part of the outboard, mostly just the skeg where it would be in the water with the trim up. The stat will be the next thing on the list and the through hull baitwell scoop intake, plastic crap. Thanks for the reply.

Back