Logo

150 optimax overheat buzzer.

wayneo oz

HI EVERYONE,
New poster here from Queensland Aus.
I have a 2010 150hp optimax that had a few sand bar experiences last year and now after renewing the impellor and housing, checking the poppet valve and the water line strainer, flushing the compressor as well as testing the thermo's and flushing the block with water, the overheat buzzer still comes on at low revs while retrieving the anchor and working around a mark to anchor..At full speed it is fine as it is at idle but as I power away or as mentioned above I get an alarm.

The telltale and exhaust water outputs seem fine as does the physical temps of the heads.
I wonder if my Temp switches might be fried and giving false readings and if so does anyone know the testing figures for my multimeter so I can test them?

Thankyou in advancWayneo

Wayneo oz Can you hold your hand in the telltale stream indefinitely? Can you hold finger on cylinder head for a 7 second count without burning it? If you can she is more than likely running alright!

Wayneo oz Can you hold your hand in the telltale stream indefinitely? Can you hold finger on cylinder head for a 7 second count without burning it? If you can she is more than likely running alright!

The pee stream is hot... not scalding (like it was prior to replacing the T/stats and poppet valve). Have not tried holding a finger on the cylinder head -- will try that today .... I think I am going to get a temperature gun, probably most accurate.
Thanks for your comment and help!

The thermostats control the temp at lower RPM. The Popit/Water bypass controls temp at higher RPM.

Check the thermostats.

Replaced the thermostats ... they are new. Checked them this weekend. Look clean. Possible I put in a defective one? I guess I could pull them and put them in hot water and see if the are working correctly?
Thanks for your comment and help!

Back