Logo

BF25 removed recoil starter/put it back/now won't engage flywheel

chass

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-Outboard-2004-BF30D-Recoil-Starter-28400-ZV7-013-C16F-5-/361859815897

hi new member. I took off the recoil starter to get a look at the neutral safety switch. put it back on and now it won't engage flywheel. the link above shows the type of starter I have. on the underneath of it, there is a white plastic piece connected to a small spring. this is what I suppose is the do-hicky that engages the flywheel when the rope is pulled. it doesn't. is there a trick to get this to engage when putting recoil starter back on? as for the neutral safety switch. there is no switch that I can see. just a small black plastic lever and it isn't connected to anything. this is connected via cable to shift shaft. what am I not doing right to get this thing to engage the flywheel. thanks for the help. just replaced the broken shift shaft. which led to this problem.

With the recoil starter off the engine, when you pull the cord, the white plastic piece should rotate outward. When it does, it catches on the cogs and rotates the engine.

If it does not, unless someone has taken it apart and not put it back together properly.....most likely part 17 rotates around part 9 without it catching on it, cut to dirt and/or grease. There should be friction between the two caused by the spring action of 17.

Generally, using some brakleen on part 9 and 17 to clean off any grease or grime and the friction should be restored. Those parts should not have grease on them where they come together.

The little black plastic lever acts as a neutral safety. When the cable is connected properly between the shift shaft and the starter, the plastic piece will engage the cogs of the starter, when the motor is in gear....keeping you from starting the engine. When in neutral, the plastic piece pulls away and the starter will rotate. If all is adjusted properly and it does not work, it most likely is due to a broken black plastic piece. It happens when someone forces the starter when in gear.

Mike

thanks Hondadude. finally figured out. I had taken off the nut on the back middle of the starter to get a better look at the neutral safety. didn't need to actually. unbeknown to me that funny round spring which connects to the white piece that engages the cog fell out. it's back in and working now. took the boat for a little spin. in forward gear the throttle hits a bump on the shift shaft I replaced. keeping me from fully opening throttle. other then that it's working beautifully. thanks again !!!!!!!!!!!!

Back