Logo

Replacement exciter coil for Honda BF25A

Wschel

I have this Honda 25 HP outboard and it has no spark going to spark plug. After a lot of effort testing all the different components a mechanic said that the exciter coil 30590-ZV7-003 is not working. I am trying to find this part everywhere but had no luck so far. Does anybody know a good place where I could find it or if I could use a part from another Honda engine?
Any help is greatly appreciated.

Well, the 25A and the 30A share that coil so that expands the chance of finding a used one from a parts motor.

But my question is did the coil badly fail a continuity test? IE: open?
shorted?

If it was just a bit "off" of the ohms spec but is being condemned due to no output, I would pull the flywheel and look for an issue like delaminated magnets or even dirt or garbage inhibiting the coil's function.

You hafta pull it anyway to change the coil.

Hopefully someone here can help you find one.

Good luck.

Thank you both for your reply. I will definitely try both suggestions and check it out.
I was trying to find out the part # for the 2004 model. Couldn't find it.
Tegweni, do you know it?

Last edited:
30595 ZW2 F01 Honda code 7529555 the Flywheels are the same and the charging coil are the same therefor the pitch of the holes will be the same as the inside diameter of the flywheel is the same if the pitch of the holes on the charging coil changes then you need to increase the inside diameter of the flywheel because the flywheel are the same on this model and the charging coil the power coil [exciter coil] will fit.

30595 ZW2 F01 Honda code 7529555 the Flywheels are the same and the charging coil are the same therefor the pitch of the holes will be the same as the inside diameter of the flywheel is the same if the pitch of the holes on the charging coil changes then you need to increase the inside diameter of the flywheel because the flywheel are the same on this model and the charging coil the power coil [exciter coil] will fit.

What should resistance on a 30595-ZW2-F01 test as?

The resistance shows range 272- 368 ohms. Please check the voltage output too as ohms can be fine but still coil may not be working. You will need a DVA adapter for your multi-meter to read the correct voltage (remember to set the meter on DC volts when using the DVA)

Are the exciter coils of the old 30590-ZV7-003 and the one used in the newer 2004 motor interchangeable? The old one has some sort of sealed area perhaps for a voltage regulator or something? The part 30595-ZW2-F01, although will fit, does not appear to have the same configuration. Any thoughts? Finding a 30590-ZV7-003 is tough and probably pricey.

When I looked at fitment for that coil...30590-ZV5-003..only 40 and 50hp models (still 3 cylinders) came up so you might want to call or chat with someone at boats.net to find out why the site would reference it like it was a direct replacement. Could just be a system glitch.

You could also ask them if they have any resistance values for the coils that they could give you. I have read that they are pretty helpful but I've never spoken to anyone there myself.

Good luck.

The "sealed area" look of that coil is because it's been what is known as "potted" or sealed in resin. Very common to find potted devices in all forms of electrical components to protect from heat and vibration. Similar to how they manufactured the CDI modules. (and why we can't take them apart and "play" with them)
I don't think there's any additional electronics in the coil assembly though..

Back