Logo

after impeller replacement water exiting from a strange point (watch video)

jasoncalleja

Regular Contributor
200w_d.jpgAfter I made a service to my outboard and replaced the water pump impeller and all gaskets , and cleaned the water pump from salt. When i started up i noticed that water was exiting from a point that i never noticed it before please watch the gif and tell me if it is normal that water exits from that point the outboard is a Honda bf90d 2010 model.

Well, I have looked at the gif many many times and I can't make out exactly where on the outboard you focused in on. It definitely doesn't look normal to me but, then again, I'm not sure exactly what I'm looking at......if that makes any sense.

I mean I thought at first I was looking at the shift shaft where it exits the gearcase and the water was gushing out just to the right of it. But that doesn't look like the gearcase and seems higher up. Water gushing from the gearcase doesn't make any sense anyway.

So my short answer is; I have no idea what that is.

I imagine several others are looking at it and just can't make it out like me. I only answered you to let you know someone was trying and probably many more than me, and you, are scratching their heads over this one.

Can you take another shot from a different angle or explain, as best as you can, where that is on the outboard?

Hopefully someone has a better answer for you.

Its coming out to the right looking at photo where the Centre Mount is that,s the bracket that fits onto the yoke shaft which has a spline on it the gear shaft also comes through the yoke shaft the water is coming out of a hole just behind the gear shaft to the right my motor also has this extra hole for what reason i don,t know i would think its there for a reason to release air for an example turn a bottle up side down put it in water the water will not fill the bottle, but make a hole in the top the bottle will fill.

Hi all thanks for your reply. Sorry I couldn't uplod the video i dont know how. The water is coming out from a hole around 1cm behind the gear shaft under the hole there is the water pump compartment. I was told that it could be that the pump pumps water inside to cool down the leg the outboard werks fine and have a very good water pie presser. I fsome wan can explain me how to upload the video i will do but i cant find out how. Thanks and sorry if i am causing you problems

No! You're not causing problems!! Problems with Honda outboards is why WE ALL joined the Forum!

Anybody have any advise on how to load a video????

I don't think you really need to send that stuff although I do wish the site could make it easier to do so.

tegwini cleared up 1/2 the mystery. The water is coming from, a case vent hole. The other half doesn't need graphics.

Now what you (and the rest of us) want to know is SHOULD it be coming from that hole?

Is there a leak in the pump's piping or is this normal? You say you have a good pre stream but I'm not sure that indicates good flow throughout the block and head. If there is a leak in the water tube feeding that gush of water coming from the case, that is water your engine should be getting to cool itself.

I hate to say it but you should probably go back and remove the gearcase and check that the water tube is firmly engaging the pump and engine block grommet seal unless someone here can affirm that the water pumping from the case is normal and doesn't cause overheating.

On the extension case inside where the gear shaft comes through the extension case there is a small hole about 5mm diameter , water will come through this hole as i explained with the bottle up side down that little hole is there for a reason .looking at the volume of water coming out in the photo as you mentioned jgmo i tend to agree with you that the tube grommet or pump hood case seal needs to be replaced or both looking at the volume and pressure in the photo.

This is what i did today. I removed the Gear case inspected that the pump was connected to the pipe. I feeded the outboard with a hose through the pipe whare the water pup ataches and inspected for somthing ubmormal but it looks ok. Than i feeded the water pump with the water hose from the upper housin attachment and water came out from the pump housing where the shat goes through it. Then i removed the water pump and installed the old impellor and tryed the same with the water hose and water came out from the same part in the middle from the shaft. Then i removed the pump housing and inspected all the 2 gaskets and the rubber ring. I found out that the housing have paseges to pass water through the engine shaft section there are drain holes in the gear case to drain out water. So then i installed everything and pur back the gear case started the outboard with mufflers and wayer didint get out from the uper hole. I put it to run in the water tank and water came out again. So i think it is as I've been told that it is to cool the engine shaft section. May be that when i rinse the outboard with mufflers there is no enough pressure water from the house and never noticed. Yesterday i saw some videos on you tube honda outboard rinse and there where some of them that water exits from the same hole to. So i think that either this is a normal feature or a defect. Thanks all for your help

Wow Jason,
Thanks for the detailed report! It looks as if you've done all you can to prove this out. We can only hope this is a normal condition at this point and, once again, I've learned something new from someone here on the Forum!
Thank you!

In the extension case on top there should be a grommet if the seal that goes in on top off the impeller is worn the extension case grommet should stop the water coming out from that hole in your case. I have inspected mine and there is no grommet in there and the drawing does show one .

Last edited:
If the telltale has good water pressure and the engine runs at the proper temp I wouldn’t worry about it. You should be able to tell when the thermostat opens up by the increase of hot/warm water out the prop?

If the telltale has good water pressure and the engine runs at the proper temp I wouldn’t worry about it. You should be able to tell when the thermostat opens up by the increase of hot/warm water out the prop?

in fact i removed the thermostats and run the engine to check if the water is flowing properly and it have a good pie pressure from the till tale ok it drooped a little pressure obviously but still a good flow so i think that it is something from the maker to cool the excitation case

Back