Logo

Oil leaks when engine is trimmed up

SophiaDa1st

Honda BF225 leaks oil when trimmed up. leak coming from a hole behind the fuse box. what is the purpose of this hole? how do i stop it from leaking when trimmed up? please help. thanks in advance.
20171128_153325.jpg

Well....
The black component bottom right in the photo is the neutral switch I believe. But pulling up the parts page for "Shift Shaft" (see link below) where the neutral switch is listed, I see nothing there that looks like it fills that hole.

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Honda/Outboard Engine/2007 and Later/BF225AK1 XXA/SHIFT SHAFT/parts.html

The blue item top left, appears to be your oil filter. It is depicted on the parts page labeled "Crankcase" (in link below). Again, like chawk_man, I see nothing listed there that seems to fill that hole!

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Honda/Outboard Engine/2007 and Later/BF225AK1 XXA/CRANKCASE/parts.html

You might want to take one of those little telescopic pencil magnets and GO FISH around the nooks n crannies in that area to see if you can find something.

Good luck

P. S. YES, I know the links take you to a Yamaha page....I tried to fix it but it's a boats.net issue...SORRY!

Last edited:
After looking and looking for an answer for you, I can't find any other examples of this exact same thing being reported.

But, it is obvious this is sump motor oil. It looks as if a plug was there at one time. Also, just to the right of the leak looks to be a threaded bolt stand.

If it were mine, I would plug that hole with a rubber stopper or a cork. Then I would fashion a clamp to hold it in place using that bolt stand (If that's what it is) to keep it there. The clamp would look like a miniature open end wrench with a small hole in the handle. You could do something like that to keep the mess to a minimum until you can figure out what goes in there.
It's bugging the $€|+ out of me and I don't even own it!

Jimmy and all - I'm in the same boat. Been thinking about what in the heck goes there. Went through several chapters of my Helm shop manual and don't see anything there. If I get time Sunday and no one has solved this yet, I'll get to my boat and take off some stuff and see if I can eyeball it. Not sure I can without major disassembly.

On second thought, I doubt if I can get in there without major disassembly. See the attached file, if I can get it to come through....Electrical brackets.jpg

Yes, it looks like a can of worms even though I can't make out the component names.
Is that the main relay and fuse panels?

I have three "scopes" for peering into and around things. Surprisingly, the one I use more than the others is one that I bought from Amazon for my cellphone and then downloaded the software to operate it off the web. I think it cost me all of $25.

I can take video and pictures with it and can download those to my laptop to manipulate and edit if I want.

But sometimes a mirror works better than anything.

Last edited:
Your motor has got too much oil in it its an overflow there is supposed to be a little 90 degree pipe in that points down . check your dip stick level.

Hmmm. Never hear of an oil overflow pipe on a gas motor before, especially one that is designed to tilt up about 50 degrees, or more. Seems like if that were the case, it would have a part number and show up in some part diagram. Yet it does not show anything on the Honda Parts diagram on either Boats.net or the Honda Marine site. Nor does it show anyplace that I can find in the Helm shop manual. Do you have a reference or part number?

Look on the earlier model 130 hp you will see the little pipe i am referring to whether it shows up on the parts list i haven't had a look my motor has one on.

The links aren't working but if you go to 2003 130 and look at oil pan page on boats.net sure enough looks like an overflow.

I don't know if it would fit the hole on SophiaDa1st's 225 though.

10 bucks.

Last edited:
Jimmy,

If you pull up the part itself, you see that a spring clamp comes with it, so it seems to be designed to feed into something else. I have no idea what it's supposed to feed to. The diagram says "E 1." I think that's entirely different from what we are talking about on this thread. Plus that part is only relevant to the BF 115 and BF 130. Could be wrong.

Not sure how good that pic is, but this is what is below and to the right of the oil filter on my 2001 130HP. Its a small right angle tube, looks like a vent. It may just relieve pressure from the heating and cooling cycle?
I can see behind the black plastic cover, the other "fitting" where the oil is dripping out of on the 225 is not there on my block.
IMG_1479.jpg

I'm still puzzled, too. If the engine is EPA compliant, and I think all Honda's are, that should never happen. Something goes in there, but I have no idea what it is.

We also have to bear in mind and take into consideration sump compression if the oil rings are worn it will build up pressure in the sump on the down stroke of the piston this will result in pushing the oil out of the breather pipe .

Forced lubricating blocks are designed with ventilating systems and different blocks ventilating systems are not always in the same place but in such a way that airborne mist does not leave the crankcase the reason that they have to have ventilation is so that the pressure does not blow the o-rings or gaskets out of place that,s just the way engineers design these systems .

Tegweni - that's certainly true. That describes a typical PCV (positive crankcase ventilation valve) system which normally pulls air and moisture out of the crankcase and feeds it back into the intake manifold, reducing crankcase pressure. It's a closed system and does not vent to the atmosphere. That system is very prominent on the 115 and 130. However, I cannot find a similar PVC-type system on the 200 or 225. I suspect that on those engines, Honda has engineered a different approach to crankcase ventilation, but I cannot figure it out.

Back to the issue at hand - the opening in the crankcase that allows oil to pour out when the engine is tilted up. I have poured through my Helm shop manual and poured through the diagrams on the various parts sites. I cannot find any part, not even a plug, that's supposed to go into that opening. I remain stumped.

Tegweni - that's certainly true. That describes a typical PCV (positive crankcase ventilation valve) system which normally pulls air and moisture out of the crankcase and feeds it back into the intake manifold, reducing crankcase pressure. It's a closed system and does not vent to the atmosphere. That system is very prominent on the 115 and 130. However, I cannot find a similar PVC-type system on the 200 or 225. I suspect that on those engines, Honda has engineered a different approach to crankcase ventilation, but I cannot figure it out. Back to the issue at hand - the opening in the crankcase that allows oil to pour out when the engine is tilted up. I have poured through my Helm shop manual and poured through the diagrams on the various parts sites. I cannot find any part, not even a plug, that's supposed to go into that opening. I remain stumped.
Did this ever get resolved?

Back