Logo

Ideas for floor repair?

xdoolyx

I have a fibreglass boat that I am fixing up. The previous owner tried restoring the boat without finishing it and it was left to sit outside. I'm not looking at starting over and fully restoring it but fixing what is left to get it in better condition.

The floor is currently made of stained plywood sheets. They are still in good condition. I am planning on sanding them down and painting them, along with the interior sidewalls of the boat, with high quality non-skid outdoor paint. I decided to do this because its cheaper and easier than carpet and people always complain about having to replace carpet when it rots.

I was wondering what could be done to fill the seams between plywood sheets and the gaps at the boat sidewalls. The gaps along the sidewalls are up to 1" in. I'm just trying to prevent the seams and gaps from holding water and filling with dirt, fish hooks etc. It would also look nicer with finished edges.

Is there a resin or epoxy product that would work for what i'm looking? Maybe wood filler?

Pics attached. Thanks for any ideas.

2ljgy6e.jpg

iooug9.jpg

2a9qn2v.jpg

Last edited:
The best thing to do is glass over everything. To fill the gaps you can use the spray foam and shave it level and glass over it. Do the research your gonna need to prime the wood for the glass to take hold get lots of mixing cups and a couple of bubble rollers. Then I just used a high quality acrylic latex deck paint with grit for a non slip surface.

To fill the gaps you can use the spray foam and shave it level and glass over it.

Ayuh,.... While that'll work,... I make my own fairin' compound with resin, cab-o-sil, ground glass, 'n hardener,.....

By usin' such, ya get a glue effect to help hold the deckin' in-place,....

Fibreglassing over the floor is a great idea and thats what ill be doing.... never thought about doing that before. I will be using fibreglass chop strand... any size?

Yeah I was thinking maybe to use a resin or such to fill the gaps between the floor boards and sidewalls. Sprayfoam would work too but I feel it would create "soft" spots.

What

There are some good videos on deck repair you may wand to fill the empty space with pouring foam just use a hole saw and cut some holes to pour into and just use the rounds to plug the holes then glass over everything you can get everything at Home Depot or most any hardware store. Get a good roller to roll out the bubbles as you go. It’s fun but messy work.

Probably should make sure everything under that existing floor is bone dry, then seal the inner structure before the floor. If you don't seal it all before you put the flooring on, it will trap all that moisture and rot in no time.

Back