Logo

New BF225 Issues

MJW6

The last couple of trips out my starboard motor took three or four attempts to start. Was not an issue with the batteries. The motor turns over fine. Not sure if it is a fuel issue. Either bad gas or not enough volume - fuel pump?

I’ve also noticed a small amount of blue smoke from both the port and starboard exhaust. I understand that leaving the motors trimmed down during storage can cause oil to sit against the cylinder and seep in. Sorry for my rudimentary description. I also understand that carbon deposits can build up on or around the rings causing them to stick and allow oil to seep into the cylinder.

It is worth noting that I had about 100 gallons of fuel added immediately prior to the symptoms occurring. So far I have asked the marina to keep the engines trimmed up a bit when stored and have added fuel stabilizer as well as Star Tron ring clean.

Any insight on causes and or advice on how to proceed is much appreciated.

A drop in static & especially dynamic pressure will cause a hard starting problem the motor will need to turn over a few times for the injector pump to build up the fuel pressure it is wise to fit a fuel pressure gauge . if the pressure has dropped you can observe it on the gauge it will give you an indication where you are . the pressure should remain constant even if you are not using the motor

First, review your starting procedure. Hit the primer bulb a few times. Then, when you turn on the key switch, pause 2 or 3 seconds, before cranking. That allows the HP fuel pump to pressurize the system.

If it hasn't been done for awhile, drain the VST's. Over time they accumulate a little water and debris, which can affect starting.

When is the last time the HP fuel filters were changed? Those filters seem to deteriorate all on their own, and they are often the cause of starting and running problems on the 200's and 225's.

As for the blue smoke, consider adding a decarbonizer to your fuel like Yamalube Ring Free. The StarTron ring stuff may be similar, but I have no experience with it.

If all that doesn't help, come back at us. There are numerous fuel filters on that engine.

High pressure fuel filter screen 16911 ZY3-010. Item 34 at http://www.boats.net/parts/search/H...04/BF225A4 XA/VAPOR SEPARATOR ASSY/parts.html

• Fuel Pump Filter 16911-759-003 (over top of VST) and suspension strainer 16915-ZW5-000 (over top of fuel pump filter) See items 5 & 6 at http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Honda/Outboard Engine/2005/BF200A5 XCA/PIPING/parts.html

• Fuel Pump Insulator 16718-ZY6-013 (inside the fuel pump housing). See item 29 at http://www.boats.net/parts/search/H...04/BF225A4 XA/VAPOR SEPARATOR ASSY/parts.html

• Fuel filter mesh 16614-P5G-003 (on fuel rail). See item 4 at http://www.boats.net/parts/search/H...er/BF225AK0 XCA/FUEL PIPE INJECTOR/parts.html

I Recently had a starting problem with my 2003 225. I had trouble starting at the ramp the last couple times out. After several tries at starting the motor, it would eventually start. Then the last time out one of my timing belt idler pulleys seized up at cruising speed. Instant screech from the motor and it died. The pulley broke apart and the timing belt shredded off. I'm thinking the starting problem I was having was due to the pulley starting to seize up. You should check the pulleys along with whatever else people suggest on here. My non-expert knowledge thinks that my problem was that the pulley was beginning to go bad, which made it difficult for the motor to turn the belt and start. For all the mechanics out there, is this a possibility?

Not a mechanic, but, yes, a pulley that is seizing can reduce cranking rpm's especially on big high-compression engines.

Could be various symptoms. Not starting can be all of the above, but as simple the Bendix not engaging on the starters. My 2006 would crank 3-4 times and eventually start. This went on for about 6 month. I replaced the primer bulb and one did have small pin hole. Still didn't resolve. I think then the starter eventually quit. I then had both engine's starters rebuilt locally. Problem resolved.

Probably a quick visual inspection with the starter removed, check for engagement, check for corrosion. good luck!

Back