Logo

Mercury xd shift shaft help

Ctslacker

Hey all , picked up a 86 or something mercury xd 18 hp . I forgot to turn thevwater on and ran the motor for about 30 seconds with no coolant gonna replace impeller. while removing the lower unit the shift linkage pulled down and the lower unit is in reverse right now . The retaining screw was broken on the clip piece by the carb so I had to melt the plastic to get the shift shafts detached . Got the unit in a vise on the bench and the lower unit is stuck in reverse . Should I be able to shift lower unit into neutral or drive from shaft.? Mechanically inclined but first time working on lower units. Serial number a146168. Any info would help while I order a impeller

Hey all , picked up a 86 or something mercury xd 18 hp . I forgot to turn thevwater on and ran the motor for about 30 seconds with no coolant gonna replace impeller. while removing the lower unit the shift linkage pulled down and the lower unit is in reverse right now . The retaining screw was broken on the clip piece by the carb so I had to melt the plastic to get the shift shafts detached . Got the unit in a vise on the bench and the lower unit is stuck in reverse . Should I be able to shift lower unit into neutral or drive from shaft.? Mechanically inclined but first time working on lower units. Serial number a146168. Any info would help while I order a impeller
P.s could the shift shaft have pulled out from the bottom of lower unit?

Are you sure it is stuck in reverse does the prop ratchet in one direction? That would indicate it is in forward gear. Spin the prop clockwise while pushing down hard on the shift shaft. The first click is neutral and the second click is reverse. It may take some force if you cannot make it shift it needs to be disassembled. The prop or driveshaft must be spinning to shift into reverse.

I got it to move . Thanks kimcrwbr1. Any idea why I can't find my serial number on any Mercury parts look up / serial lookup sn a146168.

For mercs you use the serial number range that your number falls inbetween 1985 was the last year the 18hp XD was produced you parts diagrams is 6617631 and up.

Yea mercs are almost always a pain the way they do their serial numbers. According to my book it says 6617631 and up but here you use 6443973 up is yours a canadian motor? Your falls in both US and canadian ranges.

Back