Logo

what type of Styrofoam is this

TheBrain

Regular Contributor
what type of Styrofoam is this

I picked up these Styrofoam blocks used to surport ultility trailers tongues at Lowes home improvment.

Can this be used for floation? it is denser than the orginale white stuff in my 1977 Starcraft.

This Styrofoam is covered halfway w/ plastic

Maybe to keep it dry? Trailer’s stay outside and get rained on this Styrofoam is still dry.

would like to stuff Styrofoam in OB engine Pod and stuff under dive platfoam.

Thanks TB

Attachments

• floor redo1.jpg
    floor redo1.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 46
  • stryrowfoam.jpg
    stryrowfoam.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 36
if you bought it from Lowe's best to ask them who made it and then inquire there.

a better choice for flotation is closed cell foam, usually formed in place from a two part mixture.

As a rule, most white 'styrofoam' will absorb water over time.....if you can seal it and not violate the seal, it may work out...

Chip all of that old foam out of the hull and go ahead and put in the deck. stragetically drill 2 inch holes in all the different sections and then use the poaring foam in each section and be prepared to do it all at once. What I did was keep the plugs you drilled out with a hole saw and as the foam expands you put the plug in the hole and seta weight on it. A gallon of pouring foam will be more than enough just mix small amounts at a time and have lots of mixing cups handy once you start to pour you dont want to stop. After the foam has cured you can shave and sand the deck flat and put a layer of glass and a good deck paint with grit. Where are you located I have three gallons of pouring foam looking for a home.

if you bought it from Lowe's best to ask them who made it and then inquire there.

a better choice for flotation is closed cell foam, usually formed in place from a two part mixture.

As a rule, most white 'styrofoam' will absorb water over time.....if you can seal it and not violate the seal, it may work out...
I have learned the only ? a Lowes employee is qualified to answer is where's the bathroom they only know this because thats usalley where they are hiding. I like to ring the customer assistance alarm to get them out of the bathroom only to assist in loading.

these blocks where free. I use them for dunage in my backyard and they don't absorb rain. I believe boat storage places use same blocks to surport none trailered vessels even heavey ones.

the poured in foam is a nasty dirty job, plus it will eventualley absorb seawater, get waterlogged make vessel heavey and rot my alumimin hull from inside.

actualley the orginale white stuff in my 1977 Starcraft is still dry.

what do you recommend sealing the blocks w/?

TB

Chip all of that old foam out of the hull and go ahead and put in the deck. stragetically drill 2 inch holes in all the different sections and then use the poaring foam in each section and be prepared to do it all at once. What I did was keep the plugs you drilled out with a hole saw and as the foam expands you put the plug in the hole and seta weight on it. A gallon of pouring foam will be more than enough just mix small amounts at a time and have lots of mixing cups handy once you start to pour you dont want to stop. After the foam has cured you can shave and sand the deck flat and put a layer of glass and a good deck paint with grit. Where are you located I have three gallons of pouring foam looking for a home.
actuelly I only wanted to know about these blocks.
TB

Back