Logo

Espar D2 Pump not starting after install

sdjattig

Hello, I have an Espar D2 installed in a Sprinter Van. I know this is a boating forum, but people here seem to be pretty knowledgeable about these heaters. I've posted on other forums looking for help, so I am going to copy and paste my posts from there below. Thanks so much for the help!

I just purchased a D2 kit with a High altitude sensor from Heatso. I got everything hooked up and installed (checked and rechecked and rechecked wiring). Right now, my controller turns on and the D2 unit clicks as if it attempting to pump fuel into the system. After a few seconds, the controller reads error. As I understand, this can happen on first startup, and you will need to attempt a few times to remove the air from the system. I filled the diesel tank and tried several times, and still the error. I checked under the Sprinter, and no fuel has even made it past the pump. When I start up the system, I only hear clicking from the D2 unit and nothing from the pump under the vehicle. I have tested the wiring and I am indeed getting proper voltage to the wires connected to the pump. Should I be hearing a noise from the pump when starting up? Is it possible that I received a faulty pump? Or could there be something else I am missing?

I just crawled under the van to confirm that the pump does not ever click. Only the heater unit makes a clicking noise, but the fan does not come on. The heater clicks for 10 seconds or so, then the controller reads error. I took the pump out and hooked it up to a 12v jumper box and the the pump clicked, so the pump does function to some degree.

Below is an explanation of my wiring (I will try to keep it as simple as possible).

HEATER is connected to WIRING HARNESS

WIRING HARNESS is connected to PUMP:

BROWN to PUMP
GREEN-RED to PUMP

WIRING HARNESS is connected to HIGH ALTITUDE SENSOR:

RED to RED
YELLOW to YELLOW
BROWN to BROWN
BLUE-WHITE to BLUE-WHITE

On Harness side GREY-RED and BROWN-WHITE are tied together

On Harness side BLUE, GREY, BLUE-PURPLE, RED-WHITE are tapped off

HIGH ALTITUDE SENSOR is connected to EASY START SELECT controller: