Logo

Outboard not getting spark at all

E

Eric Ohnemus

" I posted a message earlier a

" I posted a message earlier about a 85HP Johnson that would not idle after it got warm. I have not had this engine running yet this year and went to check it out tonight and now it will not start at all.

The actual model is a 85ESL-69M so I think it is actually a 1969.

Anyway it is not getting any fire at the plugs at all, I removed the flywheel and distributor and manualy turned the engine over watching the points and they did not fire at all. The purple wire coming out of the black aplifier box is hot, but the only wire I see going to the points comes from the aplifier and it never has anything when testing with a test light.

What is the best way to test to see where the breakdown is (points, coil, aplifier)? "

"Test the amplifier like this.

"Test the amplifier like this. Purchase a small (looks like a flashlight bulb)12v bulb at any automotive type store. solder a wire to the bulb casing, and also a wire to the center comtact. Connect the side casing wire to a ground on the powerhead somewhere. Connect the center contact wire to the terminal screw that has a wire leading from the amplifier to the ignition coil. If memory serves me right, I believe that wire is a blue one.... but at any rate, it leads to the coil. Make sure that you have 12v goint ot the amplifier when the ignition key is ON. Now, have someone crank the engine over while you're looking closely at that bulb (CLOSELY). If it glows, the amplifier is okay. If it doesn't attempt to glow at all, the amplifier has failed.
Joe
"

" Thanks, that was it, the Amp

" Thanks, that was it, the Amplifier tested bad and I replaced it and the boat starts on the first crank now. Thanks a million, my 10yr old son and I are to be in a company sponsered tournement the 21st and I was really needing to get this thing going.

Thanks Again,
Eric "

"Eric.... You're most welc

"Eric.... You're most welcome. Glad we could help. NOTE... If you haven't already, be sure to torque that flywheel nut down to 105 foot pounds. Anything less and you'll be inviting a sheared flywheel key which will damage the tapers of the flywheel and C/Shaft.

Joe
"

Back