Logo

35 hp Merc outboard running high idle-Please Help!!

Steelshp

Hello All,

I've been messing with this motor for a month and can't get it figured out. Looking for some guidance.

Let me give you some back story.

I've had this motor (84 Mercury 35 hp) for about 9 years on my 21' pontoon. I've never had any real issues with it. Had the carb cleaned the first year I bought it, and the water pump done 3 years ago. The first time out this season it started and ran fine. Had it on the lake for about an hour. On the way back to my dock, running wide open, it suddenly bogged down and acted like it was going to die. I backed it off to half throttle and it ran back to the dock but still didn't seem right.

I went back down a few days later and when I started it, it began coughing and sputtering. I called a guy who is very knowledgeable about marine engines, and he came to look at it and advised I needed a carb rebuild. I took the carb to him and he did the rebuild but when I put it on the motor it still coughed and sputtered and stalled out after a few seconds. Upon further investigation, I found water in my fuel tank. So I pull my tank, drain the fuel, pull the carb again, clean and dry the tank, reclean and blow out the carb, and install a new fuel line/primer bulb.

So now, when I start it, it will start and run fine except it is running high rpm's at idle speed and won't idle down. I've scoured the internet and have tinkered around with it but I am stumped. I tried calling the guy who rebuilt the carb but he failed to return my call. I got deparate and called the local Mercury dealer but they refused to work on it because it's "too old". It seems like it's up to me to try and figure this out, so if anyone can give me any ideas to point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated.

Also, FYI- did a compressioin test=good--did a spark test also=good

Thanks

You might want to post this issue on the Mercury Outboard forum on this site. Go to the top left of this page, click on "Forum Home" and scroll down the the Mercury Outboard forum. Re-post your question there.

Back