Logo

Fiberglass Repair Questions

kengaskin1

I’ve bought a center console flats boat (94 osprey) that needs some repair and I am a clueless guy. I’m not sure what products or methods to use to repair it. I've attached pictures of the issues to help anyone who will guide me.

From what I am told a pole fell on the boat across the port rail in from of the stern. You can see it bent the cleat located there and sent shatter lines through the glass. If what I was told is true it continued across the transom and caused the separation there. I don’t know if I’m buying that or not. Never the less the transom has a crack/opening running horizontally just below the transom cap.

1. From everything I can observe the transom is still very solid and I’m not afraid at all to put a motor on it but I know I need to get this closed up. Seems to me I need to fill it with some kind of epoxy that will harden and ensure the outer glass is adhered to the inner wood. I am not sure what product to use for this. Once filled I’ll need to cover, sand and paint I guess. Is fiberglass the thing to use for that?

2. Also on the port shatter cracks there are also some gouges. Can I just sand down and recover with some kind of epoxy/Resign or do I need to reglass the area.

3. The boat had twin mounted outboard trolling engines mounted on the stern. I have removed them both leaving 13 screw holes in each side of the stern where they were mounted and one through hole on each side.. Can/should I just fill these with epoxy?

4. I need to redo the cushions as much of the plywood they cover is rotted. What should I seal the new wood with? Polyurethane? Epoxy? I'm seeing everything from $130 to $150 a gallon for epoxies. That seems awfully high. What is necessary here?

Thank you! Pictures are attached!

Attachments

• Port Cleat damage inside.jpg
    Port Cleat damage inside.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 47
  • Port cleat damage top.jpg
    Port cleat damage top.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 46
  • Port cleat damage inside 2.jpg
    Port cleat damage inside 2.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 49
  • Transom closeup.jpg
    Transom closeup.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 54
  • Starboard Transom Shot.jpg
    Starboard Transom Shot.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 51
  • Boat.jpg
    Boat.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 46
what makes you sure the transom is 'solid'? what condition is the wood in where the outboard's thru-bolts were?

what makes you sure the transom is 'solid'? what condition is the wood in where the outboard's thru-bolts were?
I cannot detect any rot from where the thru-bolts were. Of course the wood in the thru-holes is sealed behind epoxy coating. I've kicked, pulled, pressed, hit etc, etc, and it appears solid from all external inspections. I've pressed on it with knives and screwdrivers from the inside and nothing seems soft. Do you think I should drill a hole through it to be sure. If so where and how big? Then of course....how do I fix that?

if the thru bolt holes were sealed, that a good thing.....we used to use a big 'no bounce' hammer for transom rot/delamination verification.....

it wouldn't hurt to drill a couple holes and verify the plywood is still dry (solid)....gravity will pull water to the lowest spot in the cavity....and you can fill the holes with some thickened epoxy once done...

Ayuh,.... The busted area by the cleat, I'd go with polyester, rather than epoxy, less than 1/2 the price, just gotta use mat as well as cloth,...

The transom looks bad,... either from rot, or possibly too much horsepower in a former life,....

If it's good, 'n Solid,... Glass up the crack, mount a motor, 'n go Boatin',...

Back