Logo

What temp are 318225 chrysler engines suppose to run at

J

john castagna

" 32'silverton,newly repow

" 32'silverton,newly repowered,new manifolds and risers,new exhaust,new raw water pumps,new fresh water pumps,new radiator hoses hvy duty w/wire.pulled heat exchangers,inspected and cleaned.when we saw what the heat exchangers looked like we got an idea!!!!we made our own to go in line with the original ones,but bigger.we took a 8" alum tube by 24"long,made 2 end caps.down the center of the tube we ran 3/4"copper coil,thru this we ran the antifreeze.we installed a fresh water intake on one end and a fresh water exhaust on the other end.again we hooked this up in line with the original heat exchanger.temp would go up to 220 degrees on the incoming antifreeze and the out going antifreeze would drop to 180 degrees.we would check this with a heat gun that plumbers use.the engines still seem to run to hot.is there a way to run cool air over them????we notice a big differance in temp when we open a engine door and run with it open.obviously we can't do that all the time. "

" John,

I have a 30'L

" John,

I have a 30'Luhr's with twin remanufactured 318/225's. The starboard engine at cruising speed runs around 180, but the port engine always ran warmer 200-220. The manufacurer says between 165 and 200 is okay, but it still was too warm for me. After doing all the things you have done, I discovered a technical bulletin from chrysler marine which addresses this problem. On the by-pass hose, (the curved short hose from the fresh water pump to the block) install a 5/16 orifice. What this does is force more cooling water through the heat exchanger rather than through a hot engine. It has brought the temp down drastically. The engine temp is fine running at 2800 rpm, but when I kick it up to 3200 rpm, the temp likes to climb back to around to 210, especially during long hard runs. I plan on installing 1/4" oriface to see if that helps. Good Luck, Mike "

Back