Logo

115HP 2 Cycle 6 Cyl Problems! HELP!

mtal89

OK,

So I have a older 115hp 2cycle i6. I believe it is 1984 model...

So for some backround, heres what i have done to this point.

When i got the boat and motor, i replaced fuel tank and line. motor wouldnt stay running at this point. After doing some testing i found that the gasket on back side of the fuelpump was bad. Changed that and motor would run and idle. at this point i did a thorough inspection and changed my throttle cables, all 6spark plugs, rebuilt all 3carbs.

With the new parts on the motor, I am able to get it started and idle out of water with muffs on, It runs beautiful and idles nice and low..

now to my problem, when i get in the water, again, it starts easy and idles well. However, once i put the motor in gear and try to get up to speed it bogs down. it will go strong for aboout 10 - 15 seconds then bogs out like it is going to die. I have tried adjusting the idle screw in and out and havent had any change.

if i am in water and just increase the throttle out of gear it doesent bog, only when iam in gear.

Any idea what i should look into?

OK,

With the new parts on the motor, I am able to get it started and idle out of water with muffs on, It runs beautiful and idles nice and low..

now to my problem, when i get in the water, again, it starts easy and idles well. However, once i put the motor in gear and try to get up to speed it bogs down. it will go strong for aboout 10 - 15 seconds then bogs out like it is going to die. I have tried adjusting the idle screw in and out and havent had any change.

if i am in water and just increase the throttle out of gear it doesent bog, only when iam in gear.

Any idea what i should look into?

It sounds like you have the idle mixture balanced, so leave that alone now. The bogging is typically due to out of balance carbs (hi speed jets). You can balance them by ear, but it is easier to buy a carb balancing tool. Using the tool, you can run the engine at a little higher rpm and check each carb, adjusting the hi speed jet to even the air intake. Then a higher rpm and do the same. Once the tool shows the same on all carbs, it should be balanced. This is how I used to balance the carbs on my 70s snowmobile and Datsun Zs.
I too have recently acquired an old 1150. I haven' t gotten to rebuilding the carbs yet. It looks like it was done once already. I would recommend getting the service manual to be sure. I think you can get an electronic version for about $30.

Good Luck,
Steve

Back