Logo

1970 200 20hp only Sparks at idle

1970 200 20hp loses spark as soon as it goes above idle. I've checked the timing several times, checked the points and reset the gaps, replaced the coils and cleaned all of the stator connections. I have also checked the insulator blocks. The spark at idle is blue and jumps over 1/4 inch. I have to say, I'm a little perplexed. Any ideas will be greatly appreciated as I am tired of beating my head against the wall.

I will check that and get back to you. It's like it hits a wall, it will almost reach a "high idle" then it hits a wall and completely shuts off, no sputtering or coughing​. If I turn the throttle back before it loses too many rpm it will start running again. I am only able to work on the motor 1 or 2 days a week, as it is at my parents place and I work too much.

Check for cracked or bare wires those engines are notorious for wires falling apart over time could be it is shorting at a certain throttle position?

Compression is at 130 on both cylinders, plugs are wet and the wires all look good. I replaced the stator 8 years ago and I'm wondering if the after market stator has gone bad.

The phazemaker points trigger the spark when they close opposite from a normal magneto points that will trigger the spark when they open. Do you have a ground wire from the stator to engine ground? If not add a ground wire it is possible your losing ground to the pigtails on the bottom of the ignition coils?

I set the throttle pickup with a dial at .002 btdc. I then checked it with a timing light. You have given me several things to check. I will be able to work on it Sunday, will let you know what I find. Thanks!

Update. I pulled the cup, replaced the insulator blocks and all of the wiring from the points, replaced the stator and also ran new wires for it as well. Motor fired right up and ran great. Thanks for all the help!

Update. I pulled the cup, replaced the insulator blocks and all of the wiring from the points, replaced the stator and also ran new wires for it as well. Motor fired right up and ran great. Thanks for all the help!
What is the cup? I am working on a 1971 model 200 20hp and all the wiring needs to be replaced. But I can't figure out how to lift up the points carrier to get at where the wires run in from the bottom.

Back