Logo

1969 20 hp cyl block cover help

Choupic

I have a 1969 merc 200 20 hp that is leaking at the cylinder block cover. I replaced the gasket several years ago to no avail, I assume due to heavy pitting on the cover (part no 1022-3567) preventing a good seal. The cover is NLA and used ones on the web look as bad or worse than mine. I have a couple of questions about this.

1) Is there an epoxy filler anyone could recommend to fill the pitted cover?

2) The parts diagram shows that I need gasket 27-78410 which replaced OEM 27-52579. The gasket has multiple holes that appear to only contact the cover, rather than just two holes for the spark plugs. Are these designed to allow heat to dissipate through the aluminum cover? I ask because I would be more confident in filling the voids in cover if a gasket was holding the patched area back. With the gaskets available, any patchwork will be in contact with water. That said, is cutting two spark plug holes in gasket material an option? This way all patch would material would be held in by the gasket.

Thanks for all and any help. This is my first post, but this site has been invaluable for troubleshooting.

Back