Logo

Mercury 125 raw fuel smell at wot

Gilberd1

I have a 2000 mercury 125 elpto, it runs great from idle to wot. I have been told by other boats following me that they would smell raw fuel very strong when I was in the higher rpm's (4500 -5100). I can't seem to figure out what would cause this as the motor runs great. Thanks

yeah that too but apparently it's strong enough they said not to light a smoke lol.
I'm not sure when the carbs were rebuilt so that's gonna be my first step just in case a gasket is leaking

The only time it smells is at WOT. I run it with muffs at the house after each sail and never smelled it. Last night I had the cover off and primed the bulb to see if it could be a cracked line or something and no fuel anywhere. And if it was the tank it would smell in the yard

If the fuel tank vent was plugged could it spill out from the filler cap with the added suction of the motor at full throttle?

If vent was plugged engine would stop running after a minute or two, also filler cap should have an o-ring gasket to prevent leakage

Last edited:
I'd run it with the hood off and make damn sure if it's not spraying gas out of somewhere. If so, you're driving a bomb!

Jeff

Back