Logo

60 hp ELPT EFI mercury 4 stroke cranks but wont start

Icky

The engine ran fine a few weeks ago. Now it cranks but wont start unless i spray starting fluid into the intake. There is no voltage at the plug that connects to the high pressure fuel pump. I disassembled the pump and it was clean and it works well when connected to 12v on the bench. I also noticed that the 2 fuses that are for fuel pump and ignition circuits also do not have any voltage. Motor seems to be lacking permission to start, although don't know why it runs on starting fluid for a few seconds. The motor is in neutral and the prop spins freely, there is no Kill lanyard since it is mounted to a small houseboat. The steering house control is in neutral and the little switch on the base of the throttle handle is in the 'run' position. It is a 2006 model and S/N is 1C008324. Any ideas???

Last edited:
The engine ran fine a few weeks ago. Now it cranks but wont start unless i spray starting fluid into the intake. There is no voltage at the plug that connects to the high pressure fuel pump. I disassembled the pump and it was clean and it works well when connected to 12v on the bench. I also noticed that the 2 fuses that are for fuel pump and ignition circuits also do not have any voltage. Motor seems to be lacking permission to start, although don't know why it runs on starting fluid for a few seconds. The motor is in neutral and the prop spins freely, there is no Kill lanyard since it is mounted to a small houseboat. The steering house control is in neutral and the little switch on the base of the throttle handle is in the 'run' position. It is a 2006 model and S/N is 1C008324. Any ideas???

I have the exact same motor. I had issues starting as well, and it ended up being a blocked fuel pressure regulator, so I cleaned the whole fuel system and voila!

Anyways, in your case, like you said you are not getting 12v to the fuel pump. I am assuming that, with the hood off the engine, you do not hear the pump cycle when you turn the key to the "on" position?

When you release the VST drain screw you had fuel come out? Bulb gets good and firm?

Back