Logo

D3L 251738 - White Smoke

Aerlik

Hi Brian, having read the forum, you appear to be the guru regarding these heaters. The problem with my D3L-251738 is that is continuously puts out white smoke. I've tried several things and have unsuccessfully found the root cause of the problem. Let me begin with saying that it is connected to a series 701-10 digital timer modulator. This was a replacement the original was missing when I bought the boat. I was told that this was compatible with the heater. No, I don't know if the problem existed with the old controller. This is a list of checks I've carried out; voltage 12.1V, removed the combustion air silencer to eliminate intake blockage, pump is at correct angle, used a clean supply of diesel from a small bottle to eliminate bad fuel, no blockage in the exhaust pipe. The heater appears to cycle through the correct start up sequence. Your valued knowledge to help resolve this issue would be much appreciated.

Last edited:
How long does the smoke last. White smoke is usually unburnt diesel from a failed start(s) burning off like oil in a hot fry pan. It usually disappears after anywhere from 5- 30 minutes. Have you let it run for at least half an hour? How long does it take for the fuel to actually ignite after the fuel pump starts? If it was white when the fuel starts pumping that is usually low voltage at the glow plug, but if it does ignite it would disappear. 12.1 is not low enough to do that, but it is not very high either. Is that before you turn the furnace on or while the glow plug is on?

I cannot find that number in the catalogue. What is the timer called ? It should not matter . As long as it is using its internal temp sensor. I apologise if I missed your original post. Being the guru.I am rub ragged at this time of year.

I cannot find that number in the catalogue. What is the timer called ? It should not matter . As long as it is using its internal temp sensor. I apologise if I missed your original post. Being the guru.I am rub ragged at this time of year.
Many thanks Brian for your reply. I attach pics of the timer. I believe it is 701 10 0005. 12.1 volt was taken while the heater was running. I only ran the heater for about 15 minutes. I have since purchased a new glow plug. I will be back at the boat over the weekend and will do some further running tests. I will probably fit the new glow plug. Will keep you updated .:rolleyes:

Attachments

• Timer model #.jpg
    Timer model #.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 18
  • Eberspacher Timer.jpg
    Eberspacher Timer.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 20
Back