Logo

Minnkota Edge 55 losing power

Alfie Wilkinson

Hi all. I have spent quite a bit of time reading the posts to try and solve my problem that I have. My Edge 55 runs fine for the first 15minutes then starts to lose power quickly. Bought 2 new batteries, ran in parralel, same problem. Tried individually, once one battery seems flat, change over to other battery. Motor then still runs like the battery is dead, barely turning on 5. I have, bought a new charger, bought 2 new batteries, replaced the brushes, replaced the magnet housing, replaced the 5 speed switch, replaced the armature and tested new one on growler. Motor is dry as a bone inside. What next? Checked for the line in prop, checked battery charger. I have not measured the current draw, do not have big enough multimeter and I haven't replaced the momentary switch (only remaining electrical item except for the wiring)

There is no representative in South Africa where I can send for testing and spares are difficult to come by for quick testing, even the seals has to be ordered in from the US.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks

Alfie

Sounds like something is getting hot when it happens wherever it is getting hot your close. How long are the wires from the battery to the control? Is there a splice in the wires or are they hard wired straight through? Feel the lug connectors at the battery for heat. Maybe just upgrade the wire size and crimp and solder the lug connectors at the battery and shrink wrap the solder joints and hard wire it all the way to the momentary switch using marine grade tinned wires.

Thanks for the reply. The wiring is standard and not extended, no connections has discoloured due to heat but I will re-check for that. Also ordered small ampmeter to check current. As you say reckon I will recheck every connection for quality and resolder

Back