Logo

Hull repair questions

RedLeg

Hey everyone, before posting I did try and search the forums for an answer. However a lot of the similar forums were dead forums after like two replies.

So I've had the pleasure of inheriting a 1960's crestliner mustang. However, it's been sitting on a trailer since 1998. The gel coat is in terrible shape on the hull. I was wondering there's fine spiderwebs all around the boat. I'll attach a picture for convienence sake. My question is, should I regel coat the hull? Or is it not 100% necessary? I might as well if I've already got the motor on a stand and running and rebuilding the interior.
http://i349.photobucket.com/albums/...5-E9F8-40C6-9CF5-B16B0FB92F2D_zps9rtkoxyq.jpg

Also, the second picture is a part of the bow, where it looks like the paint has worn off and is just leaving bare fiberglass. Does anyone have a preferred top paint?

http://i349.photobucket.com/albums/...A-7467-47D2-AE22-8691B55DD02F_zpsanfieqke.jpg

Last edited:
They make a really nice roll on gelcoat that is very durable and easy to apply. just follow the instructions exactly as far as prep, application and cure times and temps.

Ayuh,... Both pictures are bad gelcoat, no paint anywhere,.....

The spider cracks will probably come back through new gelcoat,...

Either way, yer lookin' at Alota sandin' to restore it,....

Personally, I'd sand it, fair it out, sand it again, 'n paint it with a quality 2-pt. urethane paint,....

Ayuh,... Both pictures are bad gelcoat, no paint anywhere,.....

The spider cracks will probably come back through new gelcoat,...

Either way, yer lookin' at Alota sandin' to restore it,....

Personally, I'd sand it, fair it out, sand it again, 'n paint it with a quality 2-pt. urethane paint,....

Ive been resting my arms for a lot of sanding. I've got a couple buddies and some orbital sanders to start knocking it out soon. That spider wevbjng crack is pretty much all over the hull. So looks like restoring the hull is in order? I don't think I have the capability to do a 2-PT urethane or the $. But I do have a HVLC spray gun and a big compressor. I've been reading a lot about gel coat with Duratec gloss additive to slow the curing time through a spray system. Was thinking of going that route and it's still reasonably priced.

Um, you're going to be putting in roughly 60 hours on this job, might as well do it right. The old gel coat is pretty much no good any more, so you really aught to sand to bare fiberglass and start over with a coat of straight epoxy resin followed by a couple coats of white high build epoxy primer then a couple coats of polyurethane. You'll have a finish that will hold up for another 50 years!
If you use Interlux products you'll find them both easy to use and very forgiving of conditions. They are not super expensive either. I recommend the Epoxy Primecoat followed by Perfection 2 part topcoat. Both of these can be sprayed or roller, but highly recommend spraying the primer cz it looks like a badly paved roadway if you roll it. You'll be sanding until next April.
Or, do it the quick and dirty way. Powerwash the entire hull. after drying skim it all over with a very light coat of bondo to fill all the gelcoat cracks. Sand it sorta smooth. Roll on Rustoleum. Go sailing.

Back