Logo

90hp Honda tilt trim intermutently stays on at top

Moose1010

My tilt trim works fine for a while but after some use it stays on at the top position. cut the power to it and wait a minute and then it works normally for a while with the control mounted and motor mounted switch. Is this a relay problem? Any advise would be appreciated.

Yes, I too thought relay sticking when I read your post. Especially if it does it when using either switch.

Good luck.

Clean connections where relays are mounted,possible bad or intermittent grounds,relays can be tested before replacing

Thanks for the advise. I opened the relay box this morning and it had water in it. Dried and cleaned it and then took out the gasket and cleaned it. Had to put it back in as I am a long way from parts - seems to be working fine now. How the water got in there is a bit of a mystery to me but I will keep an eye on it.

You may be able to mitigate any damage the water could do in there by flooding the box with WD-40 and then draining it again. While WD isn't conductive, it shouldn't interfere with the relay point's delivery of current because it will readily flow and drain away from them.

At the same time, WD-40 displaces water and will also act as a mild lubricant as well as slow, if not entirely prevent, oxidation from taking place. I've used it for years to dry out wet car ignitions after they have driven through water. The effect is immediate and impressive with cars that would only crank but not start to starting and running right after having been "treated".

Just an old trick that I thought you might use to your advantage in this case.

Good luck

Thanks for the excellent advise. I did just that and the problem went away and appears to have stayed fixed. used the tilt all day yesterday with no problems. Thanks to all who replied.

Back