Logo

Honda BF50A - Not getting spark

jimmymcg1

Hi all , first post here and looking for some help.

I have a Pre-1997 Honda BF50 A that is not getting spark.

My buddy who sold me the boat, had the same issue 2 years ago and replaced the CDI box which resolved the issue.

Is it normal for a CDI box to go this quick ? What would cause a CDI box to fail or to keep failing after being replaced?

Is it easy to test the cdi box and stator with a multi meter, and if so what do I test and what voltage or ohms am I testing for?

I really don't want to call a mechanic and want to figure this out myself, I'm hoping you all can help!

Thanks in advance

Hi all ,

I replaced the CDI Box this weekend , and she started right up with no issues!! I continued to use the boat all weekend and it seems to be running good.

I have friends who own Honda Bf50's that have never had to replace a CDI Box. This is the second CDI box that has been put in this engine over the last 6 years....What is causing my CDI box to go so quick ? Is it the voltage regulator ?

Thanks!

Possibly bad connections, causing spurious pulses to the CDI??

Possibly too high voltage or intermittent voltage coming from the exciter coil???

Very unusual for CDI to go bad.

Mike

Thank you for the quick reply .

When you say bad connections , are you referring to my battery connections ?

The exciter coil is only $50 , is there a way to test the exciter coil ? Should I go ahead and be better safe than sorry and replace it ?

I feel your pain. I too have a 1998 50 hp. that I purchased used and have invested a small mint to bring back to life. Through the help of great guys on this site i have learned a lot. My motor was not getting spark to number two cylinder and at first the tech though it was the coil so he replaced it. That apparently did not work so he decided the CDI was defective and recommend i replace it . I did at a cost of $450. That worked as all three cylinders work now. I also learned from another tech that CDI rarely go bad. Really do not know what the problem was but i have my fingers crossed as she is running good now.

By connections, I mean any connector going to and from the CDI. Corrosion...bad connections....etc.

You can check the resistance of the exciter coil. Should be between 168 -227 ohm between the two leads.

You can also check the resistance of the pulsars. Should be 288 -352 ohm between each leg and ground.

I would not just change out parts unless there is something indicating a malfunction or out of range.

Mike

Back