Logo

1986 DT55 rough idle and dies

iceman72

Hi I have a 1986 dt55 that dies after about 10 seconds but at high speeds it seems to run good..haven't had it on the water yet just with muffs on it...I've cleaned the carbs they were nasty it had been sitting for three years the previous owner had the same problem with it before it sat..it has good spark and new gas..the plugs are wet after it dies. I've adjusted the idle mixture scree but doesn't seem to make a difference.. Any ideas would be great.. Thanks

not knowing too much about dt55 engines but it seems that it is dying due to fuel flooding the spark plugs and that is all down to the carburettors not set up right. on cleaning the carbs did you check all the internal valves as cleaning the outside is no good, it may look nice and clean but the problem is in its operation and that's all inside. Check all valves and seatings, check float for settings, cracks and wear, if all looks okay screw rich/lean mix screw in fully then unscrew 1.1/2 turns. Try to start engine and see if it runs for more than 10 seconds, if it does then you can fine adjust the rich/lean screws. best of luck.. Eric

Back