Logo

Is the Cable Buddy recommended

SaltyMatt

I have a 2004 BF90 that is new to me and the steering gets very stiff after the boat sits a few weeks. I plan to use it in salt water so I am concerned about putting a heavy waterproof marine grease on the steering rod that may collect fine wind driven sand and push sand into the tilt tube. Any thoughts on whether this cable buddy system works?

51573CE7-7171-457A-89DB-5FED9E94D3B3

Sent from my iPad

Sorry...I a nice diagram of the cable buddy system but the attachment was scubbed off when I posted it. Here is link. The basic idea is to drill a hole in the tilt tube and use this lube nut to get grease inside the tube. After looking at it more I suppose it just saves time removing the steering rod down the road and helps get grease inside the cable. Just curious if anyone has had any experience with it positive or negative. Thanks

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?i=26063

My 3 brothers and I grew up with various boats all used in salt and brackish water... None of us even today, too many years and many boats/motors later, runs an outboard without having one of those aboard. Compared to others we know who don't use them, I'd say we've had far fewer steering problems over the years (decades, that is!).

As for the "sand" concern, there should be an o-ring "wiper" built into the nut which will prevent any sand from getting in, just like those used on the retractable pins of the trim/tilt section of your outboard.

We don't use the whole "kit" you showed in the link though; as you should be able to buy just the stainless nut with a zirk grease fitting mounted onto it -- that's what we've always used, and it costs less too!

We all use Lucas Oil Marine Grease, but any "marine grease" would be fine. Just don't skimp and use standard automotive grease -- as you really want the extra corrosion protection the marine formula provides.

Good luck.

Old No7

Last edited:
Back