Logo

New Steering Coupler?

Dangerman

I was moving a duck hunting layout boat by myself when it was caught on my steering wheel...I believe I broke a coupling piece.

The local mechanic glanced at the photo 20160409_111824_resized.jpgwants to install a new steering system for $500. The wheel now last a lot of play up-down and left-right.

Any suggestions on the most effective way to repair this? Can I just repair this piece, or would it involve a new steering system?
If I need the new steering system, any suggestions? Is it a difficult repair?

Thanks,
Dan

Ayuh,.... It appears to be the helm unit, if so, there's no parts available as it's a non-serviceable unit,...

The bezel is just a cover,... If the wheel is now sloppy, ya broke something deeper,....

To be honest, yer mechanic is right,....
Change the whole unit, 'n if ya don't know how old the cable is, buy a complete helm, 'n cable kit,....

Steering System

I purchased a new Seastar (Teleflex) helm and cable. I have the new cable s***** through and helm pretty much installed.

I had a transom bracket support with my old cable. Should I continue to use a bracket like that?
Also, In hooking up the cable, I had a rotating piece on the end where I could get an angle on the motor. Is this something I can/should purchase to add to the rod? I attached a photo of the old end piece and the new one.

Ayuh,.... It appears to be the helm unit, if so, there's no parts available as it's a non-serviceable unit,...

The bezel is just a cover,... If the wheel is now sloppy, ya broke something deeper,....

To be honest, yer mechanic is right,....
Change the whole unit, 'n if ya don't know how old the cable is, buy a complete helm, 'n cable kit,....

Attachments

• 20160512_225802_resized.jpg
    20160512_225802_resized.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 160
  • 20160512_225908_resized.jpg
    20160512_225908_resized.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 167
Back