Logo

2006 BF200 stalls after 30 sec, then is OK

fifty1chev

When I fish, it is trolling with the 9.9. When we decide to move I fire up the 200hp and off we go on plane 5000 rpm. About 20-30 seconds later the 200 suddenly stalls like no fuel. It will idle OK. After 30 more seconds of trying to get it going to plane (bucking and stalling) it finely runs fine all the way to max rpm like nothing happened. It only happens when the 200 has cooled down or not started for a little while (maybe 1 hour or 2). I have scoured the forum looking for a similar post. Is this a temperature (t-stat or sensor) problem? Or fuel delivery? It doesn't happen if I let it warm up by idle first before I put the hammer down. 500 hrs on motor, racor OK. Any ideas?

It is possible that your fuel is being siphoned from the engine while it is sitting. Possibly a bad check valve in your fuel bulb and/or a bad antisyphon valve at your fuel tank pickup.

Easy test....after the motor is sitting for a while, squeeze the fuel bulb until it gets hard before you start. If it runs ok, that somehow the fuel is being sucked back out of your vapor separator. There must be enough left to idle but not enough to take off right away. If you idle for a while, the fuel pump must eventually fill the vapor separator to where it should be and the motor will run fine.

Could just be your fuel bulb is sitting in a position that the arrow is pointing down instead of up. That can cause the check valves to not work correctly. The bulb should be oriented so that the arrow is pointed up or at least horizontal. Also, the bulb always pumps best if you hold it with the arrow pointing up.

Just my thoughts.

Mike

Back