Logo

13 foot boston whaler restore

emac

Regular Contributor
My new project is this 69 13 foot whaler. Had a bunch of holes in the hull, and a lot of old patches of other holes. I've been glassing it all in using the west marine system, building up the surface with layers of fiberglass, and the filler powder. Jell coat is full on alligator skin. Ive taken a lot if it down with a belt sander, trying to stay above the full fiberglass undercoat. My plan is not to re jell coat, but use interlux hull paint. The gell coat thats left isn't flaking off, just old, dry, and cracked. So my questions,...
will I get away with a good bottom coat instead of the gel coat, I still have to paint it with ablative after because its going in the ocean.
should I use marine tex on edge gouges or glass everything. It shapes better, but have never used it in a below waterline application.

IMG_2990 (1).jpg

Was talking to a boat shop, (boats and motors, wakefield MA, great place...) and they recommended Pettit as an alternative to the Interlux. They said Pettit is thicker and will hide blemishes better, and two coats are recommended instead of 4, and its a hair cheaper too, .. .will keep you posted.

Back