Logo

New here looking at honda bf100l for sale. Info requestedplease.

farmerrick53

Contributing Member
Stumbled across a Honda 10 horse, blue with white and blue cover, model "100" was mainly wondering a few things, what to look for before purchase, what year, parts availability, and so on. Unit is a long shaft, only numbers I found were 1700U89. Suppose serial number, as well as 100L (long shaft, 100 probably) I have an evinrude 5802 now for a trolling motor, but tired and 2 stroke. I like the 4 stroke since I can eliminate a fuel tank and also charge battery while running her, but of course it is not a running Honda at this point, but of course came from "my dad bought it new, I think around 1993 and it purs like a kitten." What numbers do I need from it and where and what else to look for and what are these things worth? Looks clean, not banged up at all, not perfect, but here in CO fresh water only and relatively short season. compression feels good. I figure buy it cheap $200-$300 and do a water pump, oil change, lower unit service, adjust valves, new plugs, lube pivot points, put in tank, and see if she is sound. I always liked Honda products.

I am assuming that the U in the serial number is a zero. That would make it a 1985. Model B100F.

That unit has a CDI (no points) but the CDI is not available, if you need one. The carburetor is probably the most simple of all the Honda carbs to clean.

If it has good compression and spark, you probably will be able to get it going. I wouldn't worry about a water pump until you get it running.

You can check nadaguides.com for a relative price. $200 -$300 does not sound too bad, if there is spark and compression. http://www.nadaguides.com/Boats/1985/Honda/BF100FLA/20003107/Outboard-Motors-Values

Mike

thanks hondadude. the u or 0 or what ever it is looks like a strange little symbol, but a u was as close as I could come to. I appreciate the reply so atleast I have a direction now. Thanks.

I got the unit, got it to fire up. SN is 1700489 and this is off of the frame, sounded good, smoked some probably just from some oil in the cylinders from sitting on it's side. I removed the lower unit, water pump looked fine and was still really soft, but the pedals are stuck over, I put it back together, and it doesn't pump!! It pumps, but slowly. Runs OK, shifts and oil light comes on, normal I presume. Questions, What year? What carb kit and fuel pump kit do I need? It lookslike all the water pumps for those early 10 hp motors are the same, so that is good. So, Next hook gas upand see if fuel pump is working, then repair as necessary, then see if impeller fixes water pump issue, then go fishing!! Looks like a great little motor. I am excited about the charging feature for the battery for the vhf and the trolling motor and the fish finder.

Got gas hooked up and everything seems to work well. Waterintake must have been plugged since today it ran fine. I am probably going to do a water pump anyway, I did an oil change, I want to do a lower unit service, then do a test run, check for leaks, then be ready to fish. I want to hook a remote throttle and shifter up, can I do this on these motors easily or is there a kit that is available or do I need to fab something? I see a hole that is plugged for a throttle hook up, but shifter might get entertaining.

The official Honda Shop Manual is the only way to go. http://www.amazon.com/Honda-Marine-...1?ie=UTF8&qid=1461639118&sr=8-1&keywords=bf8a

This is the Honda Amazon site.

The only other manual would be the Honda Marine Carburetor Manual. It might be an overkill for the simple carb that is on the 100, but if you are having a problem getting it cleaned, it has colored pictures that describe exactly what is going on from idle to full throttle. http://www.amazon.com/Honda-Marine-...eywords=honda+marine+carburetor+repair+manual

Mike

Any idea what this unit is, by sn1700489? Mainly for parts reference. I need water pump impeller and I am seeing atleast 2 different ones. Thanks oh yeah and by that I guess I was wondering bf100la...b....c...? Any ideas?

Back