Logo

Hopefully two quick Honda bf8a outboard question.

Ryan David

Finished up my head rebuild on my Honda bf8a and boy does it run great.

Question 1 - I have the plug for "charging batteries" but when I attach a test light to the block neither plug lights up, when I put test light into female plug. what could be causing this? Am I missing any parts?

Question 2 - installed motor on transom. But I think I'm missing a pin. In the "down" position its sitting right on transom, back of motor touching boat. Obviously there's an adjustment via a pin, how should motor be sitting on transom I assume more parallel motor and transom them touching.

Thanks - Ryan

Most of the 8A's have a regulated charging system and there is no output without a battery attached to it. So, unless the fuse is blown, you are probably not missing any parts. Hook the wires to a battery and put a voltmeter on the battery before you start the engine and see what it goes to after you start the engine. It reading should go up if all is working.

As for the pin....I think you are referring to pin part #7 http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Honda/Outboard Engine/1999/BF8AX SA/STERN BRACKET/parts.html

There is no stardard spot for the pin to be. The motor should be tilted far enough down to get the boat to take off and far enough up to max the speed. It is a compromise.

If the motor is just used for a kicker, then generally, a good position would pretty much straight up and down.

Check page 20 of the owner's manual and it shows some pictures. http://cdn.powerequipment.honda.com/marine/pdf/manuals/31881730.pdf

The tilt you need will vary depending on where the weight is located in your boat.

Mike

Your test light....Is it a 12 volt test light?...At any rate it's not the best tool for troubleshooting for voltage. There may be voltage present but it might not be enough to push through the resistance of an incandescent type bulb. A voltmeter will give you an ACCURATE idea of what is present at the plug. That is, of course, if you have it connected to a RELIABLE ground point. Raising the rpm of the engine should cause the voltage to rise some if it is, in fact, producing charge current.

Also, there should be a fuse prior to the plug that is near the rectifier assembly.Have you inspected that for being blown? Just looking at it may not reveal any fault. Many fuses LOOK ok when they are actually faulty.

As to your motor mounting issue....you are correct...there is an "L" shaped pin that is used to adjust "trim tilt". That pin can EASILY fall out and get lost. You can substitute a very long bolt as a temporary...or even permanent.... replacement. However the correct pin has a "pivot lock" on one end that makes it easier to remove it and adjust the angle of the outboard. You may want this if you routinely operating in shallow water and have a need to raise the prop up to prevent damage. Refer to item 8 in the parts link below for description and pricing from boats.net

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Honda/Outboard Engine/0/BF8AH SA/STERN BRACKET/parts.html

Good luck and let us know how you make out.

Back