Logo

prime transom live well pump

modelt

Contributing Member
is there a way that i can self prime my thru transom pump ?
my livewell inlet is higher than my transom pump and at times it gets air locked
my solution, currently is to remove the hose going into the sprayer and prime it with some water.
anyone know how i can self prime it ?

thanks

To get an airlock you have to have air trapped between the water coming into the pump and the outlet of the pump to the sprayer...the pimp is setting there dry and unprimed...the water comes in from the feed to the pump but it cant push the air out to prime because it cant push the water on the other side of the air.. this is a common problem on bilge pumps that are installed with a dip in the line of the pump output and therefore traps water in the dip...the fix for the bilge pump is either to rerun the output with no dip in the line or to drill a real small hole to let air escape as water enters the pump..you get a small amount of water out of the hole you drilled when the pump runs but it don't matter..you are pumping water out of the bilge anyway at that time...it would matter on a live well pump though as you may be running continously..your fix will be to get rid of the dip in the output line..

great idea
i actually will install a plastic valve, used on drip irrigation at the top of my elbow going into the livewell.
should do the trick, i think

thanks a lot

if you have a water trap then it will have to be eliminated..another trick is to loosen the output hose on the pump enough to let air escape when water enters the pump...if the pump then primes then you have verified that you have water trapped in the line..letting air in downstream from the trapped water will buy you nothing..

downstream was a bad selection of words...I should have said between the trapped water and the spray entering the livewell..

Back