Logo

BF130A shuts off after first start, then runs fine

raduray

Another question about the Honda 130's on my World Cat. When I go turn on the motor after it's been sitting for a while, on the first start it will shut off after a couple of seconds. Start it again and it keeps on running. Same thing for both motors. I tried turning the ignition switch to ON for a few seconds to give the fuel pump a chance to do its thing before cranking, but no joy. Not a huge deal as the motors run well otherwise, but it is a bit irksome. Any insights?

Can not explain it .....but it is what it is. I have seen this on almost all 130's and 115's since they came out. I happened even when the motors were new.

I have never gotten an explanation from Honda.

I think it could be just a lack of a fully charged fuel system.

I never seem to remember to try this when I work on one, but you might try, squeezing the fuel bulb until hard, turn the key switch to on for two seconds, then turn it off, then turn the switch to on for two seconds again and try to start the motor. See if that makes any difference.

By the time you do all that, though, you will probably just go back to starting it twice, as you are.

Wish I had a better answer.

Mike

Try taking out the throttle body and the IAC (idle air control valve) ,try spraying carb cleaner...there is a lot of dirt on these components.
I am sure you will find a lot of dirt in there.
Mine was acting up on the first start, but now everything is perfect after I addressed the issue.
Good luck.

Back