Logo

Leaky Trim Unit - Easy Repair? Serious Problem? - 2009 Mercury Verado Center Console

exchangegeek

While diagnosing a related problem, I noticed the fluid was nearly empty so I filled it and took this photo. It looks to me like there is a long history of fluid leaking from the head of the lift unit. When I operate the trim, there is noticeable movement of this head piece and fluid will ooze out.

Are leak problems like this serious? My guess is that fluid loss here means salt water can get into it which means I need to address it.

Thanks again for any help, tips, ideas you may have.

-Steve

Attachments

• image_236632.jpg
    image_236632.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 28
Ouch that doesnt look like fun. I would look for a replacement pump on ebay or get in there and replace the orings (they aren't cheap). You'll need a manual to tell you how to pull it apart. On some motors you have to remove one side of the bracket that connects the motor to transom to get in there. I would follow a manual for this repair.

Thank you very much for the response. I will take your advice for sure. The overall problem is that the engine bogs (loses RPMs) when then trim is used on the open water. At idle, using the trim pulls 2-3 volts from the system leaving anywhere between 11.9v -12.6v for the rest of the system. My theory is that the trim motor is straining from the load and pulling too many volts from the system. I suspect that as you pointed out the o-rings went bad, the fluid drained and now the trim motor has to work too hard.

Back