Logo

Brand New Suzuki Outboard - No Water from Tell-Tale

mdweber

Hi Folks,

Just joined the forum and am looking for some advice on a brand new Suzuki DF20A outboard.

Today I started my new outboard for the first time to find that no water was coming out of the tell-tale (pee hole). I read on a forum that it the engine might need to warm up before water would come out, so i ran it for 5 minutes on idle. Almost exactly at 5 minutes an alarm went off, and I shut down the motor immediately - no water had come out at all during the 5 minutes of run.

The engine was in a bucket of water up to the anti-cavitation plate the entire time. When i eventually put this on the boat, the engine will sit with the anti-caviation plate about 1 inch below the bottom of the boat (per the manual).

Any ideas on why no water is coming out? I am also not positive if the alarm was related.

Thanks,
Mike

Water up to the cavitation plate is NOT high enuff.-------Water must be over the pump by a few inches.------You may have damaged the impeller !

Thanks guys! So other than replacing the impeller, is there anything else i should look at or replace in the engine before starting again?

I have a new 20hp also, when I started it up the first time I had no water coming out of the toll tale until I revved up the engine for a while. If you had the water level high enough for water to get to the impeller, I doubt any harm came to the impeller. You might try reving up the motor or take it to the dealer. The water level only has to remain above the suction point for the pump to pump.

This was originally about wether the impeller was damaged running for 5 min with no sign of pumping. Now it has turned into the suction point or water level needed for the pump to function. With the motor running on the boat at high speed the water level will be at the top of anti-ventilation plate which is ? inches above the pump. My motor is at the lake so you get your ruler and measure this distance for me.

Sorry , a boat moving through the water forces water into the pump.-----A motor at rest requires water above the pump.-------Others will agree on this !!

10 seconds without water is enough to damage it. your pump is in the lower unit, the muffs are the preferred method to run a motor. The bucket must have a water level atleast 3 inches above the cavitation plate . Not even with it, not above the screens but ABOVE THE CAVITATION PLATE
10.jpg

Last edited:
Back