Logo

Oil injection driven gear / worm gear question - 90hp

FiveStar

Contributing Member
1988 90hp 3 cyl Elpto

I understand that the original driven gear / worm gear is partially synthetic. I want to replace this with a new metal I've acquired.

Is it as simple as taking off the oil pump and adapter assembly, pulling the gear then just replacing it? Or does the engine need to come apart to replace this gear?

Thanks guys.

Last edited:
The engine needs to come apart to replace it.-----And it is special.----Where would you find a metal replacement ??-----Picture of the replacement ??

Here's the picture. Next to it is my new oil pump. Got the parts used and they're in great condition.

I don't think I'll try this myself if it's not a simple job. Any idea how long this procedure would take? Am I on the right track to replace the gear that's in there currently? The oil injection's been disabled for quite some time and I was looking forward not to premix anymore.

http://i601.photobucket.com/albums/...2-C107-4C17-950A-A103B3B4E407_zpsbk2ngpv5.jpg

??????---That gear inside your motor now is metal.-----That gear has always been metal !-----------It is the driver gear inside the motor around the crankshaft that is plastic.------At some shops you might be looking at $1000 to replace that plastic gear with another plastic gear.----You are not on the right track here, sorry.

Wow, I feel really dumb! Thanks for the info. What should I do here? Premix then, no choice or trust the current plastic gear around the crankshaft? I wasn't anticipating spending that much. Can I inspect it? Are the ones on the 90hp known to fail?

You remove the pump.-------Take a strong flashlight and look into the hole.---Have an assistant slowly turn the flywheel and inspect that plastic gear.----Turn the flywheel slowly , one complete turn.

The bottom driven gears rarely fail on these models unless its been overheated....the failures you hear about are on V-6 motors

Back