Logo

Honda BF50A Carb clean/sync

pgshields

I have what I believe is a 1997 Honda BF50A that I bought with my pontoon boat this summer. The engine has zero idle so I am going to take the carbs off and clean them and hope I can get a idle. I am not worried at all about the carb cleaning I am just wondering about sync the carbs. I know I need to get a vacuum gauge (Right?) and plug into the spark plug ports. But how do I adjust the carbs to align them?

Do you guys have a recommendation for a compression tester/vacuum gauge? Are they the same thing?

The boat was sitting for 3 years without any work done on it or ran so I plan to replace the spark plugs, oil/filter, fuel filter, fuel hose assembly, and the water pump. Do you guys have any other suggestions I should look at?

Does anyone have the part numbers for the gaskets for the carbs to replace also? Thank you a ton for all the help.
I am also having a leak I believe from my engine coming out and turning the water a rainbow color. Does anyone know what this could be? I am assuming its a gas leak from somewhere.

Thank you for the help. Any recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Sorry But I think you need to review what a compression tester is / does. And how a vacuum gauge is used to set up the carburetors.----------There may be some tutorials on UTUBE for you.

Sorry But I think you need to review what a compression tester is / does. And how a vacuum gauge is used to set up the carburetors.----------There may be some tutorials on UTUBE for you.

I have looked and still don't know. Is there a difference in a vacuum seal and a compression tester? I realize you twist the screws to sync them

I just went through this with a 1991 Honda BF45 and I had to buy compression tester, leak down tester and carb sync tool.

You should google "outboard compression test" and "outboard carb sync"

Compression Test (must be done at operating temperature):
This measures the amount of compression your pistons generate when they go up on the compression stroke.. If you get low compression in any cylinder will indicate leaky intake or exhaust valves, piston blow by (rings) or cracked engine block.. They key is to look for highly variable between results.. for example if your cylinder one and two is close to each other, but cylinder 3 is way off, then you might have a problem.. First you screw all your plugs OUT, then this kit, which is simply a pressure gauge with a spark plug treaded hose, screw into the spark plug hole and then you crank the engine for about 5 seconds.. (You repeat the test per cylinder).. AFAIK your BF50 new should do around 210psi.. but anything 180 and up is probably good, depending on the age of your motor.. the key is to see how close the cylinders are relative to each other..

You can rent these kits or buy inexpensive ones.. I bought a super nice set called "OTC 5605 Deluxe Compression Tester Kit" from Amazon for $80

ehoRLz1.jpg

Leak down test (at operating temperature):
If you see problems on the above compression tests, you have to do a leakdown test, this will indicate where the leak its and why your compression is low for that specific cylinder.. You need to manually put the cylinder in top down center of compression stroke, this means all valves are closed and piston is in its highest position, then screw the kit into the spark plug hole and supply about 90-100psi of shop compressed air into the kit.. the leak down test kit I have, has 2 gauges and shows the regulated supply air pressure, and will show what pressure is being kept in the cylinder.. it basically has a super small orifice that will bleed gas into your cylinder and if your cylinder has a leak, it will leak gas faster than what comes in, so your cylinder wont keep the air pressure the same as the input air.. So, if you show a big difference in input air pressure and the pressure of what your cylinder can hold,it means you have a gas leak somewhere and the bigger that difference, the worse the issue.. Then you need to listen where the gas is hissing.. for example put your ear on the intakes to hear if the intake valves are leaky, you depending on how well pronounced the hissing is, you can tell if its piston, valves or cracked head..

You can rent these kits or buy inexpensive ones.. I bought a really nice "OTC 5609 Cylinder Leakage Tester Kit" from Amazon for $70

Ic677FQ.jpg

Vacuum Gauges (For carb and fuel injection sync):
Finally the vacuum gauges or "manometers" will tell you how much vacuum for example your carburator or fuel injection intake creates.. And you can hook up one per cylinder and compare how much air each cylinder draws in.. You really want to syncronize them all so they have as close as possible the same air intake.. For example, I have carbs on my Honda BF45 and you need to syncronize them well to have good running and idling motor. Essentially you hookup a gauge per cylinder, run the engine and then adjust idle speed, then sync all carbs to the "master" carb so they all have the same intake vacuum..

Usually if you have really rough idle and issues with throttling up to speed, a good carb sync will do the trick.. Provided your carbs are not gummed up to begin with and needs a rebuild..

You can rent these or buy inexpensive ones, they are not all the same, I did a LOT of research and eventually settled on a carb sync tool from europe that doesnt use fluids or mercury, it uses stainless rods.. its a bit pricey, but well worth the money..

I bought the "Morgan Carbtune Pro 4" from Amazon for $120

BemaiYW.jpg

Hope that helps :)

If you look at boat info.no you will find the workshop manual this has the answer to your questions. I have the same motor as you & have found the info on this site as well as a workshop manual invaluable. I would not worry too much about the oil in water until you have run your motor warm at least once. It is more than likely seepage from sitting still so long. I highly recommend before anything else changing the motor oil, changing gear oil, impeller & spark plugs (NGK) as they are best by a long shot. You should also check anodes and the condition of your cam belt & and change them out if needed. A dirty fuel filter could be a big part of your idle problem. Is it idle from cold or a warm motor? If you have remote controls the choke soliniod could be sticking. Otherwise you have brought a great motor and looked after it should serve you well. Any more questions just ask merry christmas!

If you look at boat info.no you will find the workshop manual this has the answer to your questions. I have the same motor as you & have found the info on this site as well as a workshop manual invaluable. I would not worry too much about the oil in water until you have run your motor warm at least once. It is more than likely seepage from sitting still so long. I highly recommend before anything else changing the motor oil, changing gear oil, impeller & spark plugs (NGK) as they are best by a long shot. You should also check anodes and the condition of your cam belt & and change them out if needed. A dirty fuel filter could be a big part of your idle problem. Is it idle from cold or a warm motor? If you have remote controls the choke soliniod could be sticking. Otherwise you have brought a great motor and looked after it should serve you well. Any more questions just ask merry christmas!

So right now you would change out the motor oil, filter, lower gear oil, impeller, all 3 spark plugs, in-line fuel filter, and possibly the timing belt. What anodes are you talking about? Do you have a part number for them? Thank you a ton for your help!

I use boats.net to find parts I as many others here found them to have everything in stock and the best price. I now live in Denmark and even with import duties I can't find cheaper. Once you are on the Honda outboard page there is a key at the bottom to help you find your correct motor model & year. The anodes are two one with the fin thing after the prop (I forget the correct name) and another under the transom. There are also two inside the motor block but I would not worry too much about them just yet. Do you know when your cam belt was changed? The problem being this is an interference motor so you really don't want this to fail. I forgot to mention changing the thermostat and gasket is also a good idea. There is also a good picture on here somewhere not so long ago of a cut down plastic cola bottle to work as a siphon when changing the oil filter as it makes a right bloody mess. You use it to catch and siphon off the oil in the filter by placing it underneath at an angle. Another idea with your rough or non existent idle is are you using fresh fuel as most fuel will degrade and water in the air will bind to it surprisingly quickly. Hope this helps. Have fun!

Kdupreez
where did you buy your carb sync gauge from. As I am in Europe and in need of one. Funny enough all the ones I find online are stateside.

I bought mine from Amazon. But they are available for order directly from the manufacturer web site in europe for 66 GBP.

www dot ekmpowershop28 dot com/ekmps/shops/carbtune/

Last edited:
Back