Logo

Water in gas tank-pump tank?

ROBERTI

My Mercruser 90 1b466431 stalled on my 170 2007 Montauk Whaler.

The mechanic said I had gotten water in the gas tank/pump tank. I have a external 5 gallon tank which I keep the cap on all times. He said it might have gotten in thru the vents.. He said I need a fuel pump out and disposal $189, a float$ 97, injector cleaning$ 35, shop supplies $50, plus in addition 2 fuel filters, a seal, filter fuel, epa waste disposal, and gas for another $135. In addition the labor for all would be $875.

The total cost for all of of this would be $1380.

I don't know much about boat engines but this seems awfully high. Does this sound correct to you? Thanks a lot.

Better ask on the MERCRUISER site--this is an outboard site.

And, yes, it sounds outrageous.

Jeff

Thanks, this is a outboard with a external tank. I would think I should just just be able to empty the gas with water out of the 5 gallon tank and have it disposed of properly. I just don't understand how much water could get into the engine and why the repairs could cost so much . Also I meant to say earlier that the $135 was for gas fuel filters,seal, and float, and waste disposal, all together. That to me sounds reasonable but without knowing too much about boats, the $875 labor and other expenses seem awfully high.
They did not charge me for diagnostic. They said it stalled when they were transporting it back to my pier after replacing the water pump for $500.
Thank for any help. Is this common, water in gas tank/tank pump?

One last question can this be done on a boat lift without having to get under the motor? I can get it towed to my pier and either get my handyman or a mobile boat mechanic do it while I watch and see how long it takes.
I don't mean to sound cheap but I've been gotten twice already.
Thanks for all your help. Great site.

Back