Logo

Cant get into reverse

dave41

A friends 1999, 40 hp mercury will not go into reverse. I have disconnected the shift linkage at the engine and cannot make the shaft rotate into reverse. We tried rotating the flywheel and the prop but it's a no go. I'm wondering if there is a reverse lockout on this engine. I have not worked on an outboard since my 70 hp direct reverse in the '60's.

Drop the lower unit and try and shift it into rev gear.If it shifts,look at cable adjustment and controls,do the cables move freely?.If it doesn't shift,then the lower unit will need to be opened.

Drop the lower unit and try and shift it into rev gear.If it shifts,look at cable adjustment and controls,do the cables move freely?.If it doesn't shift,then the lower unit will need to be opened.
As stated, the control cable is disconnected but the shaft that goes into the engine will not rotate into the reverse position. It will go into forward and neutral, but when rotated past neutral toward reverse, it makes a metalic clank, like it is hitting a positive stop. That is why I question if there might be a reverse lockout that I'm not aware of, and if so, where is it, and can it be adjusted? This thing had been working fine until a couple of trips to the lake ago. The problem was intermittent at first, then got to a point where it refuses to shift into reverse at all.

Ok time to drop the lower unit.Grab the shift shaft in the lower unit with a pair of vice grips and see if it will shift into reverse.If it doesn't,open it up and have a look at the clutch dog and shift cam.If it does look at the shift rod. No reverse lock out. Link to the motor.

Ok time to drop the lower unit.Grab the shift shaft in the lower unit with a pair of vice grips and see if it will shift into reverse.If it doesn't,open it up and have a look at the clutch dog and shift cam.If it does look at the shift rod. No reverse lock out. Link to the motor.

Ok, thanks for your help. Will follow your advice and report what I find.

I think it is a 2 cyl. but not positive. I was strictly looking at the shift linkage and didn't pay attention to the head end. I called the owner last night, and he said he wasn't sure, which I thought was odd. From the time I was old enough to know what an engine was, if I saw it, I could tell you how many cylinders it had. Different strokes for different folks etc. Next time I'm there I'll have a look for myself.
Having seen the diagrams at the links you provided (thank you), it appears that the gear train, and shift mechanism is the same for both engines.

Back