PDA

View Full Version : 2003 merc 115 hp efi shift into reverse not smooth,

eric80
11-18-2015, 08:57 PM
HI
speaking of my Merc 2003 115hp efi motor

Shifting into reverse is not smooth
it's that first inch of handle movement that I need to pull then once in gear the handle moves smooth. I've been dealing with it for awhile and figure now maybe I look into it.

It's just a bit frustrating when putting into reverse, I end up reving the motor to much.
I'd think it should be more subtle

any ideas?

fastjeff
11-19-2015, 09:00 AM
Sounds like the cables are mis-adjusted.

Jeff

eric80
11-19-2015, 01:00 PM
1246612467thanks Jeff
I'll see what my Clymer manual says.
I do know it does talk about the 'ring' my finger is pointing at.
Seems odd it's being pinched by the cowling
any thoughts on this?

racerone
11-19-2015, 01:12 PM
The adjustment involves those brass trunnions on the cable.----On the center left of picture # 1

eric80
11-19-2015, 01:18 PM
k working on it

eric80
11-19-2015, 01:21 PM
i'd think a little grease on the shaft would be a good idea?

eric80
11-19-2015, 05:48 PM
hi
re propeller movement
when shifter is in reverse should the prop spin freely?
i.e.
when shifter is in netural the prop spins freely clockwise and counter clockwise.
when shifter is in forward the prop spins with a clicking (ratcheting ) noise clockwise but doesn't turn counter clockwise.
both the above examples are correct but
what about in reverse? should the prop spin counter clock wise but not clockwise? or should it not spin eitherway?
I'm asking as I can now get the shifter to move freely but when in reverse the prop does not spin at all.

any comment?

haventaclue
11-20-2015, 06:05 AM
If prop locks both ways,you are in reverse,so you're spot on

eric80
11-20-2015, 04:21 PM
o I've made several attempts at adjusting the stiff shifter.
but when it's easy to get into reverse it's also got quite a clunk in the gear case when going into gear.
I know these motors are not slient when going into gear but how much clunking is acceptable
the following link is a utube video of me changing gears. am I good to go or keep working on it to get the gears to slip more seemlessly
even it if means stiff shifting?

https://youtu.be/UnRtArDINsc

fastjeff
11-21-2015, 08:30 AM
Is it running on a hose when you're shifting it? They really clunk that way.

Jeff

eric80
11-21-2015, 01:38 PM
HI Jeff

yes with muffs and a hose.
I've been playing with the adjustment and can get it to shift easy but with clunk.
stiff shift no clunk. I"m going to try to dial it in so some stiffness but less clunk.

I called the merc dealer yesterday on another matter and brought my stiff/clunk issue up with him.

I'm told my motor was one of the first EFI motors Merc worked with Yamaha on. Notorious for shift shifting.
so much so they were offering new lower leg gear unit swap while the motor was on warranty. so if an owner was lucky enough to find out about this 'recall' they got a new lower unit. Once out of warrenty (like mine) the owner would have to pay full price ($5k up here in Canada)

In any case thanks for your info, winters here, freezing and the boats put away. Will do some adjusting this winter then see how quiet it is some spring (April).

cheers12471